another Hot Side question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
fella's. My parents had looked to buy a lake home down there on Anna(they are about to retire) the main lake they couldn't find anything for under 450k on the water, any chance there are any cheaper than that on the Hot side, that don't need a ton of work?:rolleyes:

Mike - The simple answer is NO! Waterfront property on either the hot or cold side starts in the $300s and goes up. That doesn't even include the home. You may want to contact Jim C since he has waterfront property on the hot side and can advise you better than I. I bought my properties in 1998 and 2001 (we are one off the water). Lake access property (no home) is going for $70-160K right now depending where you buy. I live in the ONLY community that has access to both sides of the lake (called Both Waters Estates - duh!).

Thanks Bill, they found one on the hot side on lake anna realty for 344k, with 1.5 acres on the water(no boat dock) its a 3 bed rancher 2 bath, they couldn't find anything already built on the other side for under 450k

Mike - Let me know where on the hot side so I can tell you about the location and stuff.

Mike - Bill is correct in that where you are on the water makes a big difference. On both the hot and cold side, many of the larger waterfront plots are being sliced up into 1 acre chunks (minimum size) with slivers of waterfront in the 50 foot range (sometimes less) - that's barely enough to put in a decent dock and boat slip or lift. Prices definitely reflect the quality and quantity of water frontage. My wife and I looked for over three years, rejected a lot of plots because of waterfront issues. If the waterfront was large enough (many times an issue in and of itself), the water itself wasn't deep enough or access was via a very steep climb or there wasn't sufficient room for a boat house.

Frankly, I would be very very suspicious of anything below $500K for a waterfront three bedroom/two bath on either side. What real estate sites do and do not show picture-wise is very very telling. For example, we saw one place for around $500K that boasted a pool, private beach, 3bd/3.5ba on waterfront. It had a single picture of a beautiful pool and beach. Except when we saw it, we noticed that the house was tucked way back at the end of a cove and the "waterfront" was about 20 feet of frontage accessed by a long narrow walkway sandwiched between two other properties. The "water" itself was shallow and unusable.

Also be careful of terms like "water access" and "water view" or worse "winter water views." None of those are really waterfront.

If you need a buyer's agent, I can send your folks towards the person we used (Bill knows them too). Also, check out Long&Foster's website where you can do a mapsearch of Virginia to Louisa County (the hotside of Lake Anna) at http://homes.longandfoster.com/Real-Estate/Power-Search.aspx?mode=cityCounty.

If you want to ping me offline, feel free to do that as well as I can help you with any questions you or your folks may have. Frankly, we can talk more at the end of April gathering and I can show you some of the places we saw (by water) and why they're still for sale!

Wow, great responses guys! My parents have looked for the last couple of years down there, as well as other states too, I'm not sure how serious they are right now, other than the fact I know they have been looking down there and it was just too expensive. They recently purchased a big motorhome to travel with, and one of the things they were gonna do is buy a lot on Lake Norman, cuz they have lots you can drive a camper on and are very cheap, don't have to build, but for them its like a 12 hour drive, I'll pass your info on JImC, thanx again guys!

Back