Another curado question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilbert cales

Reaction score
Yesterday, I picked up 2 curado 200's. Today I bought a curado 100fs. I am not much on reading instructions,and I am wondering what is the proper way to use these reels? Do you use the brake system or the tension knob, when trying to cast light lures. Is it better to have more brakes out and less tension on the knob or vice-versa. I know you guys will know so I will not bother with the instructions. Mini, maybe you could chime in, I bought these reels to go with the sunglasses I got from you.LOL

Bubby

Bubby, The brakes and tension knob serve two different roles. The tension knob should be adjusted so that your lure falls steadily to the ground but when the lure hits the ground your spool should stop with no overun. Once you have this adjusted you can start to adjust the 6 brakes. You might want to start with 3 in the "on" position and 3 in the "off" position. As you become more proficient in casting you can start to turn more of the brakes off and get more distance without overruns happening. Bottom line is adjust the real until you can get good distance without causing a birds nest. It mike take you a little time to get it adjusted properly but once you do you will be able to cast all day long with very few overuns.

Bubby,

Just adding to Al's advice, try to notice when your backlash begins. If it starts only when your lure hits the water, tighten down your tension knob a bit. Eventually you will learn to feather the spool with your casting thumb to control any over-runs, but more importantly, to put the lure exactly where you want it.

This porton of dialing in the reel is more dependent on the type of lure you're throwing and what kind of wind conditions you are fishing in. If your backlash begins before the lure contacts the water, then pull out another VBS brake. Some lures catch more air than others, and a little more free spool braking will help. This is where Shimano's Scorpion really shines. You don't have to open up the real to adjust it, but not applicable to your Curado. Again, your thumb can help out tremendously here, but may hurt your accuracy.

You've got a great set of reels, but some dry-casting practice is in order for you to realize their potential. Good luck and have fun.
yammy_sig.gif

Buuby -

What Al and Septik said!

But I would start with more brakes out. At least 4 out - maybe all 6. It is MUCH easier to push brakes back in than to undo a birds nest!

Also, every time you open and close the brake cover, I'd also recheck the tension knob. Although it shouldn't need changing, sometimes, until you get the feel of it, you may need to.

Have fun!!

me!

I would definitely second what me! said. Start with all 6 brakes in the on position. If you are just starting to use a baitcaster for the first time 6 brakes on will be a little more forgiving. Accuracy will take quite a bit of practice with a baitcaster as compared to a spinning reel also. Just practice and once you get the hang of it you will never look back!

Thanks for the replies. I have got them all figured out. This is not my first time with baitcasters, I fished with ambassadors for 30+ years.

Bubby

Since I fish in the wind so much I keep all 6 brakes on mine all the time. It doesn't seem to affect my distance much at all.

Bubby, isn't an Ambassador a baitcaster?

Harpo

I taske all the brakes off alll my SF reels and I have a bunch..It seems to work better for me..JR

Harpo, yes the ambassadors are baitcasters. My main question was how does everyone else set the curado, it seems everyone has a different opinion. That o.k., I will just have to form my own. Thanks again.

Bubby

Back