Another Checklist

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
This is a follow up to the thread about Annual Maintenance. I compiled this checklist, which may be of benefit for first- or second-time boat owners. Feel free to make suggestions for improvements, or to post your own additions to this checklist. Please keep in mind that some items are specific to my personal watercraft and style of use, and may not be applicable in your situation.

MOFish

TRIP CHECKLIST

PRE-DEPARTURE CHECKLIST

Item: ACTION:

Weather report CHECKED

Tie-down/Safety straps ATTACHED

Transom Saver ATTACHED

Motor DOWN AND SNUG

Lug nuts TIGHT (90 ft lbs.)

Unnecessary personal gear REMOVED

Needed personal gear* (see list) STOWED

Storage compartments LOCKED

Trolling motor STOWED

Throttle FORWARD GEAR

Propeller VERIFY LOCKED

Trailer tongue and lock EXTENDED

Coupler ENGAGED AND LOCKED

Dolly wheel RAISED AND LOCKED

Wiring harness CONNECTED

Safety chains ATTACHED

Lights & signals WORKING

Oil Reservoir FILLED

Travel cover ATTACHED

Trailer & Truck tire pressures CHECKED

Hubs FILLED

Gas Tank FILLED

PRE-LAUNCH CHECK: (Do these away from the ramp)

Boat Plug INSTALLED AND TIGHT

Depth Finder ATTACHED

Trailer Wiring Harness DISCONNECTED

Tie-down straps DISCONNECTED

Transom Saver REMOVED AND STOWED

Fuel Cap VERIFY CLOSED

Fuel Bulb (if equipped) PRIMED

Fuel Hoses & Connections VERIFY NO LEAKS

Motor SHAKE, VERIFY TIGHT

Steering Linkages TIGHT

Steering Controls FREE AND CORRECT

Cables & Linkages VISUALLY INSPECT

Bilges VISUALLY INSPECT

Propeller FREE AND NO DAMAGE

Storage Compartments UNLOCKED

Personal Gear STOWED AND SECURE

LAUNCHING: (on the ramp at water's edge)

Bow safety strap UNHOOKED

Winch ratchet ENGAGED

Throttle IDLE/NEUTRAL

Motor TRIM DOWN IN WATER

Water Intakes VERIFY COVERED

Ignition TO

And Adam thought he was anal!

Mark, are we gonna have time to fish tomorrow? Heck, if we aren't leavin' till noon and you gotta go through all those checks before we even leave the driveway.....

:^)

me!

My weekend guest...he WAS considering buying his own boat...After three days of the above...on and off the ramp...watching me getting up half an hour before him...watching me play with all the toys...and watching me pay for gas...etc...He decided his likes being a "non-boater"

Hey guys...think it through...that checklist is (should be) exactly what we do every time...And, if you aren't "anal" (read that as careful/conscientious) you will pay in the end. Boys and Girls the Marine Corps taught me to be prepared and "squared away" every time all the time!

Mo, check the livewell/baitwell pump and flow before getting too far away from the dock and tools.

MO - Great list, e-mail it to Rich and have him put it in the Grab Bag so we can refer folk there when the question comes up again!

KEYS! Once, I got all the way to the ramp and realized I left the boat keys on the kitchen table. I now keep a spare set in my glove box for just such a mental lapse! But yeah, a little anal there MO! LOL

Okay boys and girls, I truly appreciate all of the comments and (constructive) criticism, so please take the following comments with a grain of humor.

Mac - Yes! (Actually, I do both. One for real, one on my computer. I'd do both for real if my eyes were 20/20, I was better at mathematics, and had a personal 747. I learned from flying simulators that the checklist is critical. Take-offs are optional. Landings are mandatory. :^)

Scott: The checklist is on my Palm Pilot. The Pre-Departure list will be done tonight. The Pre-Launch I can now do in less than five minutes. If you help with launching, it'll take more time to back down the ramp than to run through the list. The longest list is the one done after the boat is on the trailer for the trip home. In fact, I'm gonna be pushing YOU to keep up! We've got to catch enough bass in four hours to feed the blind troop on Friday night! (Oh, and bring your rainsuit!)

Bassman - I begin fishing when I'm sure I can get back to the ramp.

Greg - HOO-RAH! I'll add the livewell pump and the BILGE pump to the list. Good suggestion.

Trep: Also a good idea to have something like this in the Grab Bag. I'll wait a bit to see what else can be added.

Rob: WOW! Something so simple and yet I missed it. You also reminded me to make sure I've got registration, insurance and operating manuals along with me. Thanks!

And, as far as being anal, YOU BET! It took me three years and several thousand dollars to have my dream boat parked in my own garage waiting for ME to go fishing. The last thing I want is to sink it and then have to say, "Honey, can I buy ANOTHER boat?"

You guys (and gals) are the GREATEST! Thanks for letting me be a part of this community. And keep adding stuff! We'll have a real RESOURCE when we're done!

goflying.jpg

Keys....I had a "guest/partner" get out of my truck and activate the door locks as he did so...there it sat running, blocking the ramp.

NOW, I issue spare boat and truck keys to my guests...rudimentary operating info on boat to first timers...

And, no matter the weather...I never get out of the truck at the ramp until I have run the drivers door window down far enough for me to be able to reach in and unlock!!!

Did that one too once Greg. Luckily it was very early in the season and nobody else was at the launch. Only one that would come to my rescue from home was mother-in-law! Yup, took me a while to live that one down! LOL

Mark,

Great list...BUT....I didn't see any FOOD!

I won't say C&Ls because I know YOU wouldn't bring them in a boat....they're in the cooler in the truck right? But where's the food??? LOL

Carli

Carli, my bad. Drinks are in the cooler or fridge, food is in a box, or a bag or a bigger cooler in the truck along with folding chairs, cutting board, halogen lights and stand, electric filet knife, plastic bags, jugs of water, sleeping bag, clothes, cot, tent, etc.

All that kind of stuff is in ANOTHER checklist I use - the PACKING checklist. Actually, its listS, because I have a different list for each annual trip I take.

Now THAT'S being anal! Or a total dweeb. But I HATE getting somewhere and realizing I forgot something important.

(Which reminds me, now I need to add "WIFE" to one or more of those lists.)

Mo...

You have a happy home with me and my best friend...Both of our trucks are "loaded" per "the list" and carry "urban/rural" survival "goodies" at all times...Can't remember all the time we have brought out the "XXXX" at the launch ramp/campground/parking lot and saved our or another's trip. Let's compare first aid kits sometime...

Back