another automotive question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
So far, of all the Q&A web sites I post questions on, this one is always spot on and with the smartest most helpful people. So here it is.......

With the heater running in my van, my AC compressor keeps kicking on and off. Sort of like it does in summer with the AC running. Is this normal??? Thanks

BTW, Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.9 engine.

If the defroster is on then yes that is normal. Most of them cycle the ac to dry the air so you dont end up with a wet windshield. On regualar heat im not sure, id think that depends on tre vehicle. My current truck for instance has climate control and it will cycle the ac if its humid out to keep the humidity inside the truck nice. Mine gives a visiual indication on the climate control screen shoing it when it comes on and off. My old truck had regular manual control on the heat and the ac didnt cycle, only on defrost.

my old truck would do that when the frion was low.

mike c

If it's just on heat and not defrost, then either your compressor is bad or low on freon.

not sure:unsure:

Back