aluminum boat transom screws leaking?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
My 97 PT 18 still leaks some. The usual has been checked and fixe, i.e., livewell connections, replaced drain plug housing and plug, etc. Now my buddy says his older boat leaked around those 7 screws across the transom that are below the water line. Cause? They have rubber washers and they rot. Sure enough, some of mine look cracked and dried out. Anyone know whre to buy small rubber washers like those?

jag

How about any place that sells plumbing supplies? I don't know just what washers you need but there's a million of them for various faucets, etc..

fill the back with water and add some food coloring and you'll find out real quick where the leak is comming from, works every time

on my old tracker, once they started leaking i just backed them off a touch and used silicone. worked perfect.

mike

Thanks Bill and Mike. Actually, it might just be a standoff. Those screws are in there so tight I can't budge them. I imagine they are also corroded inside the threads. I will try the colored water thing just for curiosity and go from there.

Back