AHHHHHH, durn Bravada!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, as Buzz posted some months back, the Olds Bravada was one of the least dependable vehicles put out by GM. Wish someone had told be that BEFORE I bought it!

So I was doing my bi monthly repairs and had a lifter go. So 1 week before the FLW, I had the shop do a full valve job and replace all the lifters. $600, no biggie right? Beats a truck payment. But I kept thinking, "ya know, I'm gonna do this and in a month the block will blow." Well......I didn't make it a month! LOL

I towed 90 miles down through the Adirondacks to Ticonderoga to prefish for this coming weekend's BFL and on the way down, my oil pressure kept dropping. I got there and fished, but left early so I could drive back in daylight. Good thing, I didn't make it all the way. Had to stop 20 miles short and put it at my mom's place until I could get it home last night, knocking the whole way.

So, today I priced out long blocks. At this point, I can't get a new truck, so I'll just put a new motor in it, paint it, and run it for 2 more years.

Note to you young guys wanting to fish big tourneys which means lots of towing (I put about 35,000 miles a year on the truck).....GET A DEPENDABLE TRUCK!!! I usually research my vehicle models before buying, but this was the one time I didn't and I am still paying for it!

Still beats a truck payment... But, not by much... Sorry to hear that thing (Bravada) keeps on biting you... I think in your youth you must have egged an Oldsmobile or done something to them things...

Bum deal on the Bravada Rob. I just put a rebuild on my old hunting Bronco II. Turned out it needed a new transfer case add a new clutch, pressure plate, and shifter too. $1400 spent on something I just haul dogs in. I feel your pain. I just spent about $500 on a Marlin 44 magnum lever action before this happened. This happens everytime I buy something nice for myself. Sooooooo I'm leaving for Florida Thursday with what's left of my savings.

We have places called engine exchange here. You go in and they replace yours with a rebuilt one for about $2000. Saves money over the normal shop rebuild. Might be an idea. Other than that How's the fishing been?

fatrap

Rob im surprised that that motor failed. the 4.3 is one of the best motors gm has ever built. Did you buy the truck new or used? i have had 3 4.3 motors and i have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no problems with the motor itself(the truck surrounding it is a whole different story). I have done unthinkable things to those 4.3l motors and they just keep on going.

Rob,

Will you have a truck/tow vechicle for next weekend? If not we can use mine.

Don't sweat it too bad Rob....my buddy just picked up a brand new 4.3 for his 92 and got it for $1500. If your gonna' keep it put new in it vs. rebuild....you'll actually be cheaper besides you can just plug and play:)

That's why I got a new 350 waiting to go in...after I looked at new prices;(

And yes the 4.3 is practicly bullet-proof but, there were so many a few lemons have been known to slip thru...sounds like you just had one.....

I know how you feel Rob, my wife has a Bravada and it is the most undependable, nickle and dime you to death vehicle I have EVER seen.....

"It's not your father's Oldsmobile" --- yeah, it actually ran :).

It's not that...It's WHERE they're assembled.It's not the 4.3 either. Probably assembled in Mexico.

Maybe it's some bad karma on Rob??? LOL

Somebody has been trompin' around in pink undies puttin' the voodoo on him:) LOL

wernt me, Tee. I let my Wife wear the pink undies!!!

Guys, this motor had been a PIA since I bought it. I have a list longer then Treps imaginary schmeckle on what I've done to it to keep it running. I got a price of $1200 for a long block with 18 months warranty. Can't go wrong there. Then it's a new tranny to be safe, paint, a few mods, and I'll run it 'til the tires fall off.

Doug,

Kenny is towing me down. Can you be to my house at 3:00 on Friday? Give me a shout this week OK.

That's not bad for a 4.3 block Rob. Is that re-manufactured or new? Check the warranty too...if you get new you usually get 3 years or 50,000 miles.

Rob - I think I remember you the last 3 years or so sinking a LOT of cash into this SUV?? When did you buy it? How much did you pay? What do you owe? How much have you put in since you bought it (other then maintenance - tires, breaks...), and what is the current trade-in or retail value? In otherwords is it realy a good idea to drop $1,200+ into a vehicle that maybe has a best sold value of $2,000 (as an example, have NO idea what your SUV is worth)? Or do you trade/sell it, defer other expenses to get a good tow vehicle that will do the job but NOT over fancy, loaded or too much vehicle? IN otherwords to tow your Ranger and your family do you need a 1/2 ton, 3/4ton/??

Just ideas. I've had many a time i loved a vehicle but it was worth it in the long run to bite the bullet on every other expense and get a reliable late model used vehicle. It seems like you are still looking to go Pro, which means more towing and miles, do you want to break down on the way to the big Tourney? Don't think so.

Just my 2 cents.

Shoot Trep...he's proabably like me:) I weighed the differences between doing that or buying new at rediculous prices...easy choice for me:)

Buying NEW is rediculous for most vehicles these days. But with the STEEP depreciation 1-2 years down the line, the CHEAP used car loans (4-5% with good credit) it is a better bet. I'm just sitting here thinking Rob wants to be a pro, and tow to lots of Tourney. He dropped a good chunk into that OTHER brand boat, so he needs to make a decision if Pro is where he wants to be. If so, then he needs to make sure he can afford the vehicle/repairs to keep his boat and self SAFE. Also, its all about priorities too.

When mom totaled the "jarjar" wagon last Sept, I wanted another Sable/Tarus wagon similar to what I had. What I realy wanted was one of the new Subaru Turbos, the WRX wagon, the Turbo Baja mini-truck, the Legacy Turbo Wagon and such. But at $12k for a few year old Sable/Tarus wagon, or a LOT more for the newer Subaru's I decided that since the Van would Tow the boat VERY easily, so all I needed was a basic reliable 4 door - BINGO found a 2002 mid-level Saturn 4 door, $9k fixed price, $2k below bluebook retail, and wrote a check from the insurance claim $$ and savings.

So, I think if I was in Rob's shoes (of course first thing would be to MOVE to somewhere I could fish year round!! LOL) would be look at the total checkbook, priorities, what can he tax off as a business expense and the like. Then decide what is the most cost-effective place to spend any $ and if the new/used vehicle or continuing to sink $$ into Bravada as a total expense. If he's blown $4k (for example) over 3 years on the Bravada, thats $111 a month that could go to a safer/used truck.

So I agree, unless you have a LOT of $$ and plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years, don't buy new, but a used under warranty 2 year old truck.

Trep

Rob,

I will be at your house before 3 on Fri. Talk to you later.

"Here you are, Rob! Just the car for you and the Missus! Only a small down payment and 72 easy monthly payments! And, yes, I will take a bass boat in trade....."
Trep%20and%20pimpmobile.jpg

Trep,

I AM in the process of going pro, no longer wanting to, but AM! LOL It's not an overnight process. Even if you have the money, you can't just jump into the FLW, there is a LONG line in front of me. I have to qualify.

As for the truck, it's not unsafe, just been unreliable. With a new motor and tranny, that will be fixed. To go pro, I can't have a truck payment, I need that money for gas and entry fees. Tommy Biffle drove his suburban to 400k miles. My frame, interior, and under carriage are strong. When it runs right, the 4.3 is a great and powerful V-6. Most powerful I've driven, (course I haven't run a Trailblazer yet) but with the mods I'm ordering and the new motor, I'll be pushing around 225 HP, maybe 230. You can't ask for much more from a V-6. With the lighter weight of the mid size SUV, it's more peppy than a full size with a small block.

So until I get an auto sponsor or win a tourney with enough money to pay cash, I'll keep running my truck.

I did sink quite a bit into the truck, but I always do the Ben Franklin, weight the pros against the cons. I could replace my oil pump and tweak it again, but putting another $400-$500 into a motor with 150k on it does not make sense. I will just put that $500 towards the $2000 a new rebuilt with a warranty will cost me and then sleep easier at night. With a whole new drive drain, plus all the other new parts I've put into it, the truck is a 2003-2004 trapped in a 1994 body. LOL

And for my boat payment, it seems a lot of people are under some spell about pricing of Rangers. I would be willing to bet, my payment is less than someone who is running a 2000 Nitro 901.

Don't you worry about me, I'll be fine. Just needed to vent a little steam about this truck. And like you said, even if I DID buy a new truck, I wouldn't buy a NEW truck, I'd buy a 2001 or 2002 with low miles with some warranty left and let the original owner take the depreciation hit. The truck I want, a F250 Lariat limited edition, full 4 door with leather and the works, big block v-8 lists for $47k! That's a FULL year on tour for the price of a truck. Let me fish the tour with my old beater that will now be able to get me there and back, and when I finally win one, I can pay cash for a newer (not new) truck and a NEW 520!

There's a method to my madness.

Rob, that kind of horsepower is nothing for a 4.3l v6, just make sure you dont kill the torque in the process. I had one in my 93 sonoma that had 290hp to the rear wheels, that equates to about 330 at the crank all motor with no forced induction or nitrous. That truck would run low 13's ion thre quarter all day long as long as i could get traction. I used to p#$# off a lot of v8 mustang and camaro owners with that little truck. Yea i had to do some serious work to get it there but it can be done, and if i had more money i could have gotten lots more. What kind of mods are you doing to yours?

btw you dont want a gasser if you are going to travel all over the place, get that 250 with a diesel and it will go 300k wihtout breaking a sweat.

Get a Yukon/Suburban and forget about it.

I thought Tommy Biffle was on the Chevy Truck Pro Staff (when it was aorund).....

Good luck Rob!

Mini

Hey Mini, if I had your money I could by a Hummer! I'm pretty sure it was Biffle and that was before the Chevy team. There was other guys that used to be real road warriors and ran their trucks over 200k religously before getting new ones. When I get into some better money I will get a new one. But sorry, you can keep the GM's when I'm done with this one. If I had the money and could sell mine in good conscience, I would and get a Ford or Dodge! LOL

My 1995 chevy silverado has 189,000 miles.

It has a lot of highway miles, but it also pulls my boat and a thirty foot fifth wheel camper.

I would never switch from GM.

Wolf

Hey, I'm all warm and fuzzy for those who have GM's and like them and have no problems. All I'm saying is that GM's and I just don't mix well. So I have to live with mine for at least another year, then I can go back where I'm comfy with Dodge or Ford, and I'm leaning heavily towards Ford. I REALLY want a 4 door F250 4x4!

Jim B -

No kidding! Low 13's! WOW!!

I never was much of a drag racing-type..... But I had a friend back in the very early 70's who had a 1967, 435 hp, 427 Vette. If I remember correctly, he used to turn right at 14 in the quarter.

It was a black convertible with a white hood stripe and factory side pipes. He referred to it as The Skunk! And last I heard (ran into him about 5 or 6 years ago) he still had it in his garage!!

Rob, i hear you on the Gm thing. After i got the screws put to me on my last one i dont think i will ever own another. Plus my Dodge has been too good to me, i tink my next ruck may well be a ram 2500 cummins.

ME!, yep low 13's and i could have gone faster with wrinkle wall slicks possible into the 12's. More power wouldnt have hurt either, but nitrous or a super charger were out. Thats cheatin! I ran Dot slicks that are har dwall and can be run on the freeway if you want to. I never go wrinkle walls because when i went to the track i had to drive it home too, wrinkle walls are hell on drivetrain parts and i didnt want to bust something.

Fyi back in the 60's they rated horsepower differently then they do today. They formula they used to was different and the numbers always looked higher then they do now

LOL!! I remember when they did the recalculations..... Another friend's 'Vete - I think it was a '73 - hand a badge from the factory on the transmission tunnel in the cockpit that proudly exclaimed "350 C.I.D.; 190 HP"!

Back