Advice on buying a used Tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Garrow

Reaction score
Hello -

I found this site while doing some research on Bass Tracker boats - and I thought I would ask you guys for some advice. I am looking at buying used boat - I have a very limited budget and I have found a 1994 Tournament TX17 for sale for $3,900. The seller is the original owner, It has the original Johnson 40, motorguide trolling motor, etc. Took it for a wet test on Lake Lanier and was pretty pleased with it.

Just wanted to ask you guys for your opinions on the tournament TX 17 as well as the sale price of $3,900.

thanks!

You'll probably get several responses here, one from TrepMan, who lives near Altoona. I haven't used/fished from this boat, so have no opinion. Check the NADA to see how it compares.

Tex

Hey Jeff,

I cannot say if it is a good deal or not because I just can't tell without looking at the boat with my own eyes.

I can give you this for what it is worth:

I purchased a 95 Pro Tournament 18 foot with a Tracker(merc) 90 hp on it for $4,200. This was 2 years ago and I considered it a very good deal at the time. The boat was in excelent condition. the seats were in good shape with no wear and the motor did not have a scratch on it. It had one loose rivet along the water line. Everything on the boat worked but the speedo (show me a boat with a working speedo and I will show a boat thats still on the showroom floor).

Sounds like a fair deal for a 94 17 foot with a 40 hp. I would make him an offer but much lower than his asking price. You never know what he is thinking and you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Go for it,

Wolf

Hey Jeff - TrepMan here. Like the others unfortunetly can't speak to this specific deal. BUT where in Woodstock do you live? I just moved last year from Woodstock (un-incorporated area just north of Arnold Mill off Hwy 140), I now live off Sixes' road between 575 and Bells Ferry.

The only issue of the Pre-98 year models is the older style modified V hull. It's a little faster in smooth water then the post-98. Steve R. and others will chime in on that model. If the boat is in good shape, also make sure you get a mechanic to check out the motor (best $100 spent) to make sure it realy will work going forward. I like Wolf would try to drive the price down to the mid $3,500, if he bites great, if not and you still can't find a better deal - go for it!

Make sure you try the live wells, fill all them up, try the timers, ask about any service records, check the trailer for rust, and the like.

Trep

i had a 93 tx17 with a 40 on it.on the speedo it did 35 with 2 people,plus gear.it was a stable boat for 2 people,plus it rode nice,although i only had it out on lake ontario once in1-3's,a lot of space up front,plus lots of storage for what we had to store.under deck had lots of area for the extra battery i put in it.i would upgrade to a 24v motor with a little more poundage of thrust.

Jeff,

I paid 3,200 for a 91 pro 17 with a 50 merc,s.s. prop,factory cover,and galvanized trailer.

The seller flat out told me that it had ALOT of miles on her.

Really can't compare the two,but just to give you some price range.I would offer him 3,500 and see if he takes it.

One thing to check is the wood in the floor.Take a screwdriver and poke around.Especially the area under the seats in the corners.Those storage areas will hold water and rot.

If everything checks out and you think it is worth what he wants,then buy it.Hopefully it's a good one.

Good luck

If you like the boat, and you think the price is ok, then but it.

I bought a 1996 PT-17 with a 40 last year for $3500. It had everything including a custom cover. I didn't even try to get the gut to take less.

Bill

Thanks for all the input! You guys have been very helpful.

I plan to make an offer of $3,400 today and see if he takes it. Everything is original except for a new cover and new set of tires, wheels and bearings on the trailer. NADA listed average sale price for a 94 TX 17 at $3,160.

TrepMan - I live off of 92 about five miles west of Sandy Plains road.

Now that you got us all involved, your gonna have to report back on how the deal went.

Welcome to NTOWs, hope you are an owner soon!

Wolf

Jeff - We'll have to hook up in July when I get back in town, whether you buy this boat or not. I fish (notice I didn't say CATCH!!) Allatoona as i'm about 5 mins from the ramp.

Trep

I am a Tracker owner now :eek:)

Just wanted to say a big "Thanks" again to everyone for the helpful information in making this decision. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I get better acquainted with the boat.

Got it for $3,500 - can't wait to take it out.

Now I just have to wade through all the transfer of ownership papers...

Trep - I haven't fished Alatoona in a few years, but I'm sure that will change now as that is the closest big body of water to the house. Let's hit it when your back in town.

Congrats Jeff,

Your gonna enjoy the boat and your gonna really enjoy this site...its entertaining at times.

Wolf

Congratulations on your new boat!! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.

Beware of going fishing with Trep. He will want you to carry pictures of the fish he catches in your wallet.

;>))

Harpo

Congratulations! Always a nice time when you get a new toy. You'll enjoy fishing with TrepMan. He's a hoot.

Note: Be sure you have snacks for him.

Tex

and try not to make fun of his hat...

Welcome... another "tin" boater... Tin Rules!!! Congrats...

Back