Additional Charging Question - My PT 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky P

Reaction score
My Pro Team come with a single bank charger for my deep cycle battery. I have no complaints, I think it's great, I hope it lasts and holds up for a few years.

Here is my question and thought as to what I'm thinking to do. I want to be able to give my cranking battery a slow maintenance type of charge on occasions. I'm too cheap to buy a better Guest or BPS onbourd charger at this time to handle both of my batteries, but I'm kicking around the Idea of installing a 2amp auto shut off and monitering onboard type charger for my cranking battery. I've seen them at my electrical supply guy and it looks like it may be a cheaper way to go right now. They are fairly inexpensive under $30.00. When my factory charger goes bad I won't have a problem replacing and upgrading it with something better.

Sorry for being so long winded. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Spanky -

A battery charger is basically a battery charger..... But there are some things that must be taken into consideration for use on your boat.....

Is this unit sealed against corrosion?

Is it "spark free"? You certainly don't want a spark firing off anywhere near your fuel cell.

Are the components of high enough quality that it will not malfunction after many continuous hours of being plugged in a destroy your battery?

My advice: Buy yourself a 2-bank marine charger. By far the cheapest and safest solution in the long run.

me!

Latest posts

Back