Adding a Hydrofoil to 50 H.P. Merc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a Hydrofoil to my PT 175 50 Merc and wanted to get some opinions about what type plus are you happy with the additiion ? My steering gets 'stiff' or harder if I run with the trim up but if I keep it trimmed down all the way, it is much easier to steer but more of the hull is in the water causing drag. Thought the hydrofoil would allow me to trim up and have easier steering....any comments or opioions welcomed, thanks, kenny

You might want to check the trim tab on your motor first.It should have an adjustment to take that torque out at high speed.

Kenny,

Check out this link. https://www.savvyboater.com/p-776-stingray-jr-xriii-hydrofoil-stabilizers-with-no-drill-mounting.aspx I am a big fan of not drilling holes in my lower unit. This hydro fin goes on without any drilling and takes about 2 minutes to install. All you do is remove the zinc from the lower end and slide on the fin. Then reinstall the zinc and you are done. This fin extends farther back that any other fins which really helps to stabilize the ride. I had one on a 21 ft Tahoe and I was amazed the difference it made. I will me purchasing another one for my new Nitro come payday.

Dan...........

Latest posts

Back