A nice fishing story

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick De Marzio2

Reaction score
My son Dave and I were fishing on the Schuykill river near a power plant that was pumping out warm water. We had been fishing for about an hour catching smallies and largemouths. On the bank was a father and son fishing for carp and anything else they could catch. They only had one fishing rod, which was a deep sea rod and the father was using that rod. The young boy about 11 or 12 years old walked up to the car and pulled out a huge trash bag and began picking up all the trash on the bank. We have fished here many times and have seen trash all over the bank. We were amazed at what this youngster was doing. I asked Dave if we had a fishing pole in the rod locker that we don't use anymore and he looked in his and I looked in mine and we came up with an ultra-light ugly stick and a penn reel with line on it. We approached the father and the son and I asked the father if it was ok to give his son this rod as we were impressed at what his son had done on the bank, and that all the number of times we had fished there never witnessed this happening. We also told the father that he is raising his son as a true sportsman---never leave a mess when fishing as you might want to fish there again. The father said "God bless". We continued fishing and the youngster rigged up his new outfit and casted it into the water. We continued fishing for about a half an hour and we heard this yelling. The youngster had a fish on, it took him about 15 minutes to land the fish it was a 6lb carp. He was estatic and happy of his catch. I believe he is "hooked". We now carry an extra rod and reel that we won at a tournament (door prize), just in case this happens again.

Never thought to carry an unused rod & reel with me, but I will put one in the rod box now. Thanks for the idea . Job well done & it sounds like you are doing a VERY good job with your son, God Bless.

Great story Nick! By recognizing that kid for making a difference YOU made a difference!

David

Great story, Nick!

And great idea, too!

I will follow your example and carry a "give away" with me in the future as well.....

Way to go, guys!

i just put together a "Pass It On" rig that will go in my rod box come spring.

What a truly great story. Will be uncovering boat and slipping a give-away rod in this afternoon. That's almost like Pay it Forward!

Love it and thanks!

Barb

Great story Nick.

Iwas talking to a gentleman one day at the ramp while I was loading up the boat.The whole time we talked,his young son walked around picking up litter and throwing it in the trash can.I told them both what a fine job the boy was doing.With all the bad things you hear about kids "nowadays",its sure good to see a few good apples in the bunch.

Back