a couple of questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Muniz

Reaction score
Due to many responibilities I have not had the opportunity to take my TX-17 out fishing very often this year.

The few times I have been able to go it has been very difficult to start my 40hp evinrude. I hold the choke button in for about 10 seconds and crank it and it will start but wont idle and then stalls. If I goose the choke before it dies I can coax it to run a little but then it will die again. I did this 10-15 times before I could get it to idle with a little throttle in nuetral. It smokes terribly and looks like its dumping some raw fuel/oil into the lake through the exhaust. (This is a little disturbing to the conservationist in me). Once it starts and gets run at 1/3 to get out of the no wake zone it runs fine the rest of the day.

So the question is are there any tips to starting a cold engine with out fogging the region in blue smoke?

Second question. I had a new teleflex NFB steering cable and helm installed a few years ago. There is a short length if plastic tube opposite of the cable on the helm that I assume encloses the the the end of the cable when making a hard left turn. This plastic cover is 1/2 broken off. I found it on the floor under the console and can see the cable sticking out the other end.

Is this piece replaceable or repairable? Do I need a new helm? Steering otherwise works fine.

Dave

The clear plastic piece just protects the cable(and you from grease).It shouldn't be hard to find a new one,or make one with some plastic tubing and some zip ties.There is a plastic piece that snaps into the steering thingey,and the plastic tube fits over it.

As for the motor,I would say thats one for the machanics.Sounds like a tune up may be needed.

Steve

Back