929CDCX ADVICE

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Odom

Reaction score
How can you stop the wall of water that rushes up behind the boat when you back off the throttle, every time I back off the gas a wall of water comes over the top of the engine. What

am I doing wrong my Triton never did this. Thanks in advance!

929's are rear heavy, make sure your rear compartments don't have heavy gear in them. They also have a pretty large splashwell so some backwash is to be expected. That being said, when you come off plane do it gradually and bump the throttle. If you just cut the throttle and set her down that heavy hull will sit down hard. I've had waves come waaaay over the motor. I will also turn to one side a little and that will shoot the backwash off to angle. Seat time will cure it. My tournament partner has a Basscat and he is an experienced boater and he still backwashes half way to the seats!! The learning curve!!

TOXIC

I had the same problem with my 700lx when I first got it, its not as big or heavy but the 115 Merc on the back is close to the max HP. What i've found is as I'm getting ready to shut down, I trim the engine back down all the way, and come off the throttle slowly, that seems to work great with no water on the back deck. I do have to hold the steering wheel a little tighter as it gets torque steer pull as I trim down while slowing down, but works great.

I have to goose the throttle as it settles down off plane to keep that from happening on my Nitro. I see alot of other bass boat guys on the lake doing the same thing that I do, I assume for the same reason.

TJ

like toxic said, it is a rear heavy bass boat

come off the throttle a little easier, and give a little gas right before the wash comes over

Dusty, I run a 929 also and yes it does wash over the motor cowling and a drop or two on the deck however it is best to trim in---- drop throttle ---then gas it just enough to push the boat a few feet forward as the wall of water falls down. the guys you see doing this is the same reason why. I don't know of any bass boat that runs WOT, then shut the engine down that doesn't wash over the engine/ deck. (like pulling the kill switch)

This happens with almost every boat with an Opti225 I have ever driven. Triton included....

Mini

My 882 does the same thing. What Tox described is aht i do to prevent it.

My old Champion i could cut the throttle from WFO, full trim and and it would just skate across the water and come to a stop and not get a drop over the back deck. The first time took out my 882 i tried that and the backwash came up over the seat and i got soaked. Needless to say i learned real quick how to prevent it.

Back