90hp Merc. - New Prop performance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Got my replacement prop from my dealer on Friday, and got it installed. Went to the lake yesterday, and after breaking it in (actually the Flo-Torque II hub), I got the following performance. Some very strange.

Old prop (13" 19 pitch - somewhat dinged up before breaking):

5000 rpms WOT, between 37-38 on boat speedometer. Didn't verify on GPS. Handling good, but not great. Not very stable from the steering wheel. Hole shot (w/hydrofoil), decent.

New prop (same one 13", 19 pitch) :

4800 rpms WOT. Lost about 200 rpms - specs call for 5000-5500 max.

Handling - GREAT. Much improved. Really stable on plane.

Hole shot - still good.

Top speed 36 mph on speedo. GPS indicates 33.3-33.4 at optimum trim.

Today, another prop (used) arrives. It's supposed to be a 12.75" with a 21 pitch prop. Sometime over the next week or two, I'll try it out and report the differences.

Here's the strange improvement. The hummingbird stock depth finder (that came on my Targa), now works better! Before, I almost always lost the bottom at anything over 25 mph (or thereabouts). Yesterday, I had a decent picture almost all of the time. Even at WOT on plane. I believe the dynamics of this prop causes less disturbance in the water, allowing the transducer (mounted just to the left - from the boat - of the engine) to get 'cleaner' water.

Jamey,

Spec's call for 2420 lbs, rigged and ready. Probably add another 500 for me, the wife and gear (I tend to go on the heavy side). Trep and I have been talking, and we both feel the same way - somethings just not right. The engine runs great, no problems. Had it checked recently when I had an electronics module replaced. All reported fine.

I'm beginning to wonder if the engine is installed optimally. I probably need to start looking at the engine 'position'.

Back