901 Setup

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Havens

Reaction score
I have a 2005 901CDX with a 200 Optimax. Looking for some advice on setup. Original setup was with the factory jackplate Tempest Plus 25p w/three blades. Was getting around 66mph @5500 rpm's. Had a Bob's Machine Shop 6" hydraulic jackplate installed and am getting the same top end speed at 5200-5300 rpm's. Shouldn't my top end speed be higher with the jackplate?

Jon Havens

Sounds like you need more prop to push RPM's up to the max -- around 5750. A 26P should get you close (400 RPM per pitch, so you should be between 5600 - 5700). Also, I'm not sure how removing 4" of setback will affect overall speed & performance, perhaps others on the board can comment, my first take is that doing so will have a slightly negative impact on performance, although clearly having the hydraulics should offset this.

The tempest is an excellent prop for this boat, so I wouldn't change that unless you want better handling & holeshot (but sacrificing 3-4 mph) -- then go with the Trophy Plus...

By the way, I am running the 10" fixed with a 200 Opti on the 901, and am running at 70 -- do you have a lot of driving experience? One of the most common mistakes made by drivers has a major impact on speed; most guys get up on plane, then tilt / life their engines to full speed operating position immediately. This doesn't optimize the prop and the motor's thrust. Rather, you should ease up in increments, allowing the boat to reach its top speeds. I'll usually make 3-5 adjustments once out of the hole...

Hope this helps,

David

David,

Thanks for the advice, my jackplate is setback 10" as well. I don't have alot of driving experience but do make trim and jackplate adjustment in small increments. I am happy with the hole shot and handling, so you think I should try the bigger tempest prop?

Jon Havens

Jon,...your first post says you have a 6" Hyd. plate,......then you said in your second post, you have a 10" setback.......which one is it??

Mac,

Sorry, the motor is setback 10" and the hydraulic jackplate has 6" of adjustment.

Jon

Jon, if you figure out that you don't need that tempest plus 25p I would be interested in buying it. Clark

Sorry I gotta rant....

That statement by David was just about the worst advice I've ever read.

Keep raising that engine up. Keep an eye on the H20 pressure always > 15psi at WOT. Or until RPMS hit 5800(Your engine will let you know) or speed decreases. With a hydraulic plate and 6" of travel this should easy to do. Just like Pat said.... in his first post.

The trophy seemed to generate better overall lift and speed, In both of my cases 96 896 and 01 911.

OK, so I screwed up and got the prop pitch formula wrong there PMJ...I'm happy to fall on my sword, and probably would have earlier if I wasn't out of town. Go easy on me, it was a LONG day -- I got it backwards, but I wasn't NEAR functioning at 100%. The rest of my advice I'll stand by...

David

Reference Pat's question I'm not sure if the motor is the same height as it was before the new jackplate. While adjusting it up I have noticed the decrease in speed before the big rooster tail and 5800 rpm's. This setup stuff is all new to me guys so if I am not asking the right questions or not giving enough info let me know.

Jon Havens

OK, scanning through these posts, and I have to ask -- did you install a 6" hydraulic jackplate to the 10" fixed jack plate that came standard on your boat?

david

Back