901 owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Chance

Reaction score
Been looking at a 901 and see that these are very heavy boats. Weight compares with that of a 20-21 ft RANGER:eek: Any owners out there have any ideas on why they are so heavy? And do you like it or not?

thanks

DC

Not sure why they are so heavy, but they are a wide boat. I love mine, very stable, lots of room.

Pierre

I have a 2004 901CDX with a 200 big block EFI.

A Nitro is a big/wide boat. Don't know enough about the construction differences between Ranger and Nitro to give you a real answer but I can comment on performance. If you buy a 901 don't skimp on horsepower. My 901 jumps right up on plane and is one of the easiest boats to drive. Top speeds range anywhere from 70-74mph(GPS) depending on load. I don't see where the weight is hurting me in any way.

If you are considering different brands I wouldn't get caught up in a weight comparison. If you have the opportunity, drive and fish in the boats your are considering. Everyone has different preferences and each boat has its +'s and -'s. I had a Savage 884 prior to my 901 and the boats are not in the same league in terms of performance. I have owned a Ranger in the past and I have only great things to day about Rangers, but as a weekend angler that has to pay for his own boat you can't beat the value for the features you get in a 901. The 901 is a great boat.

Mine is for sale if you are interested. See 2/20/07 posting on the Swap and Sell page.

It's a good boat with a 3.0 motor, either EFI or optimax, it's a dog with a 2.5.

I like my 901, it's great to fish from and has lots of storage. I didn't realize it was a heavy boat. My 200 EFI pushes it along about 65 to 67 mph. Chris F.:D

p.s. I run mine with a 200 Verado. the extra weight is evident in rough water....this is a pretty stable boat.

Mine is a '04 with 200 Opti. It is a heavy boat but is very stable and fishable, you'll hardly

notice someone on the back deck moving from side to side. Most noticable difference to

me compared to Skeeters and Rangers in our club is the 901 is quite a bit higher from the

floor to the top of the sides which may account for the additional weight. It's not the fastest

ride out there but I would not trade mine for anything else I've been in. Like Pat said I'm not sure it would be that great with less than 200HP.

So being heavier,they should ride smoother in rough water,yes?In real rough water (3'-5'+ waves),are they harder to control than a lighter boat?

They are a bit slower to manuver. I learned that watching Mac and Mini work the big stuff on St. Clair. You can smooth out the ride of a lighter boat by quick adjustments to the way you steer in the big water. With my 929, I had to pick a line and make my adjustments more in advance. It also affects the way the boat sits back down in the water after you go airborn (which is a lot!!:lol:). Kinda like the difference between a Porshe and a Buick.

TOXIC

You are gonna get another lesson soon Tox....

901 is a great boat. Excellent fishability. WIDE body for WIDE fishermen :) Thats why Mac had one! lol

Mini

Oh great....schools in again. Nuthin like seein Mini's bald grape headin away from you WOT, in 4 footers, 17 miles from shore. BTW, I don't need my tennis shoes washed again!!

TOXIC

Tox,

Take your flip flops next time....they dry quicker!! :rolleyes:

Bob G.

Wait a minute Mini I own that 901 now . Could that be the reason I've been gaining and going bald ever since ??? I thought it was just a private joke.:huh:

Mark

Back