86 TX-17 Tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom G.

Reaction score
Just bought an 86 TX-17 w/50 Mariner pwr trim. Looking for info from other owners about the performance of their TX-17.

Thanks Chris. Been taking it down on the river 3-4 times a week. Haven't been up on the lake yet. Seems like it might be a handful in the wind. I'm looking to reprop this now. Top end is 23-24 mph at WOT. I really think I can improve this 50hp with a different prop.

Tom - you should be able to get 30mph or more out of her. I had a PC 175 with a 40 merc and she ran 28-29 fully loaded with 2 adults and 2 kids, and Steve R. has a '91 Pro 17 with a 50, and I believe when he borrowed my GPS last April he was at 33 or 34mph top end. So its either the Prop, the motor hieght, the motor or a combination of all 3.

Steve - If you read this post, what prop are you running so Tom has a starting point?

I had an 88 txs17 with a 60 Merc that ran dead on 40mph, took it down to a row boat and put it back together. Ask away...

BF

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I was pointed to this site from Iboats. I figure I'll start with a different prop. What do you mean by "motor height"? The prop on here now is a 10 3/8 x 15p. I usually fish alone or with my Lab, so loading isn't a problem. The Mariner has less than 75 hrs on it. Excellent compression, 125 across. Anyone care to throw in their 2 cents?

What is your max rpm @WOT? The engine can be raised and lowered to get optimum ride and speed. Start with the simple stuff first.

BF

Back