75hp ELPTO

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Didn't think I'd ever go this route, but I have an option to repower my 02 PT175. My dealer has a customer repowering his PT185 so he's got a used '03 75hp ELPTO (older 2-stroke) available. He's already checked it out and its in very good condition both mechanically and cosmetically. Dealer is asking $3250 installed PLUS he gets to keep my 03 40hp ELPTO.

I've done some online research and NADA values the 75hp around $3,000, although they do note the value could be much higher for an engine in very good to excellent condition. The value of my 40hp is about $2,000. If the engine were still being made, I'd pass on the deal given NADA, but an online search shows that the engines are simply not out there anymore. Its all Optimax's and 4-strokes - both of which I understand won't work well on an 02 PT175.

So what do folks think? Is it a respectable deal?

Thanks in advance!!

I'd pass on the deal. The dealer is making out BIG TIME on this deal. With the engine being a little over NADA book, they are already making a bit of a profit, but to ask for your engine to be included in the deal - no way. Ask them what they want for the engine outright - not installed. Put your engine up for sale seperately. You will get a buyer - might take a little while during this "off" season, but you will eventually sell it - and no matter what, thats extra cash in your pocket. If you live close to me (I'm in Virginia), I'll even make this offer to you - I have a hoist and all tools necessary to do the job. You can do it in my garage, I'll help, and all it will cost you is a six pack of IBC rootbeer (per day :lol: ).

When I repowered my older Cajun boat, I went from a 120 to a 150. The dealer tried almost the same thing with me too - "sell us your old motor for (some rediculously low amount)". When I started questioning things, I found that they were only going to put an adapter on my harness to go from the 120 to 150 - "plug and play" basically, hook up the steering cables, and bolt it down. I told them to bolt it on the transom, and I took care of the rest in my driveway. I sold my other engine outright that same afternoon to another person looking to repower - he was hanging out at the dealership, and the dealership KNEW he wanted my engine. They were going to buy it from me and make a few grand seconds later with this other guy. He told me that they were discussing it with him, and told him to wait until I left, and they would "cut him a good deal". Well, I cut him a "better deal", and made a lot more money for myself in the process.

All the best,

Glenn

Jim - Jim - Jim - Don't go that way. Effectively he is charging you over $5 grand for a used engine. Take the money and put a good downpayment on that Fish & Ski that you and Irene want. You can then sell (outright) your tin boat and get a decent price, as well. Come over to the dark side and you won't regret it. Couple of good deals on a Triton F&S at Lake Country Power as well as a nice F&S at Anna Point Boat Sales. Bite the bullet and get what your really want!

My .02 cents!

jim

i think bill has a point. get want you want now. your boat will sell quick and for top dollar.

remenber the market is getting ready to get good for boats because its tax season. it starts people thinking then boom, theve good a big check and an itch to scratch.

mike c

Jim, there is no way I would do that deal now if you got to keep your old motor then it would be worth it if thats what you wanted. But like Bill said get what you want...

Hutch

Thanks guys. You and the wife are the voice(s) of reason. Guess I'm blinded by the desire for MORE POWER! Wife and I will talk more tonight. Frankly, it sounds more and more like I just need to sit tight and wait until the F&S that she wants (and that I can more than live with) shows up.

Hang in there Jim take your time and a good deal will come your way. I was looking for over a year and finaly the deal I wanted came around I have to drive 600 miles next weekend to get it but it saved me alot of money waiting for the right time.

p.s I will talk to my friend about his F&S and let you know very soon.

Hutch

Excellent advice from your buddies here at NTOWS Jim.. I'd love to have that 75 on my boat too but I would listen to what I've read here and pass on it.. Good luck with whatever you do..

Uncle Billy

Jim - Everyone is right on target, I was in the same position as you 2 years ago, realy wanted to up-power my PC 175 with a 175, Pat G. and others provided all the advice you have up here, I waited and along came my Nitro from Rich! I got what I wanted and more!

Patience my young padawan learner, Patience!

Says the guy that an old boss used to call "the Hyper Fisherman"!!!

Trep

Back