591 , set up and best props to test

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery Gilliland2

Reaction score
I need some input. I recently bought a 2006 591 with 175hp Opti, no jack plate. Motor currently has a 3 blade 24 p tempest prop. Will get up on plane decent with livewels empty, livewells full is a different story. I know a lot of different variables go into prop selection but i will be testing several props this weekend and would like some suggestions. Also, have any of you guys added a jackplate to this set-up. Thanks in advance, Gilly

Just put a stingray tail on it and te problem will be fixed. It don't cust like a new prop. The prop that you have is awsome setup. Don't get ride of it. And stay away from those carbon tail gates. I have a nitro 591 with a 135 and full gear full od gas and the tives wells full of water. I don't have a problem planing out. I used too before I installed my stingray tail.

The first thing i need to ask is how long does it take before it gets on plane with full wells? Depending on how long it takes you may not have a problem at all. The boat will be slower to plane will full wells for sure, id say it it takes like 6 seconds or less to break over your in good shape.

There are some things you can play with for free like the pvs plugs and weight. Try taking one out or more and see what it gives you, also get some of the smaller sizes and play with smaller ones too(they are very cheap). Also try moving some weight into the forward compartments if most of your weight is twords the rear your holeshot will suffer, just play with moving stuff around until you find the right balance.

I have a z7 which is the same basic hull with a 175 pro xs on it. I also have a 6" jackplate and run a 24 tempest on mine, the prop shaft is currently 3" below the pad. It has no problem at all getting out of the hole wether the wells are full, empty, full gas, two guys whatever. It takes less then 5 seconds with two guys and a full well.

Say Jim i was watching your library. Where did you get that hose cover for the line's on that red nitro. I'm very intrested on something like that.

Ace,

I "made" that out of a replacement large shop vac hose i got at home depot for like 10 dollars.

What i did was snake it over a long straight edge(a 6' level works great) and sliced it on one edge so it was like a giant peice of split wire loom. From there it was just cut it to size and install. To hold it in place i used some electrical tape in a few places. the nice part is i didnt have to remove any of the hoses or wires to install it and the price was right. I had that one the boat for over 6 years and it was still on there when i traded it in, it held up well in the sun and still looked like new after all that time.

The foils are a band aid fix for a bad setup or not enough horsepower. That 175 is plenty strong for that boat. I think you have the right prop too. Those tempests have the PVS holes that need to be played with to get better holeshot. by removing the plugs, you allow more exhaust to go over the blade area and it will spin it faster and get you out of the hole better. You just have to play with them to see which works best. I have 2 plugs out and one large size plug in on my boat right now. You also need to bet up with the correct pad to prop shaft measurement to get optimal performance. There won;t be a need to change any props. Do you have a jackplate? If I were you, go to bassboatcentral.com message boards and ask the props forum and the nitro boats forum. I have seen a lot of posts on this subject over there for that same boat.

Jim/Ace

I just re applied Jim's home made rigging tube to my boat. i put one my first motor back 5yrs ago. when i repowered my boat my shop did not put it back. so i went out picked one up Wednesday and installed it last night. it is a great inexpensive fix to a bad looking bunch of wires and cables

Thanks Jim

GregD

Back