4-Stroke oil or 10w30 synthetic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
I have 05 PT175 with a Merc 25 HP 4-Stroke. Can I use Valvoline 10w30 synthetic oil instead of 4-Stroke oil? Is one better than the other? Thanks

i would use one that is rated for 4 stroke engine's, espicially during the warrenty

They will void your warrenty in a heart beat if they find oil other then what they recommend. My Merc dealer told me that in no uncertain terms

The manufacturer CANNOT void the warranty for not using their brand of oil. They can if you use oil that doesn't not meet the engine's requirements.

What I am saying is that if the manufacturer says this engines needs 4 stroke oil and you decide to use pennzoil brand 4 stroke oil, you are safe. If you want to use a better quality oil than what is recommended and is designed for or compatible (rated) with 4 stroke oil such as synthetic oils, you are safe. If you use a 2 stroke oil or any oil that is not design or compatable with 4 stroke engines, you are going to be in trouble.

I highly recommend AMSOIL. I did use Mercury/Quicksilver Premium Plus. Amsoil is so much better. It's 100% synthetic. Smokes less (almsot none), runs cooler, better protection.

I went to Wal-mart and FarmNFleet and my choices are Quicksilver 4-stroke oil or I could use Valvoline 10w30 synthetic oil. On my boat motor it says 4-stroke 10w30. What is in marine oil that's not in a regular synthetic oil? I want to use whatever is best for my boat motor. In a truck there is nothing better than synthetic oil (doesn't gel when cold, doesn't break down, just my opinion :) What is the best solution?

Out of those two, get the quicksilver 4 stroke oil. I believe marine oil has a few detergents in there regular oil doesn't have.

I still stand behind amsoil.

Rusty I wish I could find amsoil. I might try to order some off the Internet if shipping isn't $$$.

Like it weas posted above you dont have to run "merc brand" oil to maintain warranty. Just make sure the api service codes are what merc calls for and its the correct weight and you will be fine.

Im am amsoil guy too. I have run it in my cars for years. good stuff. Im going to start running the two cycle in my outboard this year.

Order it off the website. Shipping is very reasonable.

Good luck!!!!!

And fast! The first time I ordered Amsoil, I was amazed to show up from work the next day and find it on my doorstep. I later found out that one of the distribution centers is in Richmond Virginia, so I had basically "next day" service for regular price. Every time I've ordered from them, the packages arrive very quickly. I'd recommend it for everything with a engine.

All the best,

Glenn

Back