30 gal. gas tank?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Major

Reaction score
According to the pamplet my 2003 Pro Deep-V 17 has a 30 gal. gas tank. I have ran it down to about an eighth of a tank and cannot put more than 15 gallons of gas in it. I am planning a trip to Homosassa to fish the flats and at least one day out to 10-15 miles off shore (on a calm day). I was wondering if any of you might have the same set up and could shed some light on this. I know it is hard to fill this tank due to being vented in the cap but, I have allowed for this when filling the tank.

Sounds like a 16 gal. tank to me. I have a PT175 w/16gal. and it takes up about half the battery compartment. I'm at work now but if you want, I will post the dimensions this evening. Guessing I would say it's about 30"x30"x10".

Have good trip and keep your eye on the horizon.

I have a 175 Sport F/S, it has a 25 gallon tank. When I baught it I know it took a little over 24 gallons to fill it. However, in normal operation, when the gauge falls to 1/2, it only takes 7 gallons to bring it back to full.

I only use the gauge to remind me to open the hatch and take a look.

Two thoughts:

If you're going by one-eight tank on the gauge - Forget It! Fuel gauges on boats are notorious for being completely inaccurate.

There is a possibility that your tank is partially collapsed. If it was installed in the boat on a warm day and then left sealed for a period of time during a cooler period the sides may have caved in and stayed that way.....

me!

Also.....

Does your tank have a side vent? It would be a soda bottle sized cap on the side of your boat opposite the tank fill or maybe a bit more toward the rear of the boat. If so, make sure that you have this cap partially unscrewed to allow venting as you fil the tank. Otherwise, you will gets lots more splash-back as you pump gas in.

In any case..... If you have ANY doubts..... And you're going off-shore..... Please! Take a spare can of gas with you! Sea Tow is expensive!

Thanks for the help guys. My tank is under the floor where the 4 seat pedestals ar located. It seems to be very wide but, not very tall. There is some kind of a fitting on the far end of the tank but, I have no idea what it is. There is a drain like grill over it. They were very specific about saying that the only vent was in the gas cap so it is very hard to completely fill without spilling gas. I don't know how much I will use the boat before I go to Fla but, I will put a can of gas in the boat and run it down as far as possible. Or maybe I will raise the boat trailer and start siphoning......lol

I will not even consider going out if there are predicted swells of over 3 feet and I do plan on getting a kicker motor before I go. I also have a marine radio, hand held GPS, compass, cell phone, and I plan on getting another fish finder/GPS combo. I may get stranded but at least I will know where I am lost at.

Hummmm maybe I should take a look at the paper work that came with the boat. I think I will.

Just a thought...My fuel tank has a metal plate attached stating the capacity. Look for that.

Harpo

That fitting with the grill is likely the vent I was talking about.

The caps I'm used to have slots cut in the threads that match to slots in the threads on the fitting. By matching the slots, you allow air to escape when you are filling the tank and air to enter as the tank empties.

If that cap is tightened down all the way, it seals the top and no air gets through. It should be kept unscrewed a few turns.

me!

Major - I checked the trackerboats.com site, and it also shows a 30 gallon tank for your boat. It shows a 24 gallon one on the ProDeep V16, so 30 gallons sounds reasonable. As other's have said, the sending units in the tanks are not very reliable, but you'd rather have the tank show empty when there is gas left then have it show 1/4 full and be out!!!

On filling with the vented cap, a lot of us find turning the nozzle 180 degree's (basicaly upside down) works wonders!

Good luck and take pictures for us!

I will try turning the nozzel next time I fill up. I will do the pictures too. Not going until Nov. 30 so it will be a while. Thx for all the help.

I will also give my opinion on whether one should take a boat like mine off shore with less than 3 ft. swells.

I have a 40 gallon tank in My TV-18 and it has collapsed. I have NEVER been able to put more than about 26 gallons in it. I don't trust the gauge so this fall I plan to run it dry on a small lake so I can back to the ramp on the TM. After being "Empty" I want to see exactly how much capacity I lost due to the collapse.

Major -

I had my Nitro 180 out in the Gulf of Mexico with just mild swells. It did just fine. Nothing more than you get out on one of our major fresh water lakes on a crowded summer weekend.

However..... I gotta admit..... Just KNOWING how vast the expanse of water was..... Now, that's intimidating! I kept wondering what hidden dangers lurked below the waves! Jaws! Giant squid!

The biggest fear was that, even 1/2 to one mile off the shore in southern Florida, sand bars would often appear out of nowhere.

What was REALLY NEAT was to have dolphins swimming near the boat as I fished!

me!

Back