2007 Nitro Trailer Hubs Lubrication

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
My trailer threw a bearing this spring and I had pay a mobile trailer repair to replace it (did both sides just to be safe)--BTW NOT cheap. This comes a year after I just had them repacked. Now, I see a milky white substance in the bearing when I pop off the rubber cap, and about a half teaspoon of water. I bought some Lucas Marine lube (blueish) and a grease gun and have been pumping about 5 pumps every 3 trips out or so. How do you know when you have adequately lubed them? Should there be a little water in the bearing part? Is it possible to over-lube them? I don't want to get stranded miles from home again with another cooked bearing. I have aftermarket mags (see pics).

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 40
  • EZ.jpg
    EZ.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 36
How Genuine BB® Works | home
Maybe its the way I'm looking at it, but I don't see a Bearing Buddy in the wheel pic. It must be under the grease :) . The cover looks appropriate.
This info should help answer your questions. Yelp, when you apply too much grease it ends up on your wheels. Follow their guidelines.
Vic

On my camper, the instructions said to jack up the tire and spin it while adding grease. Eventually it will begin to kind of leak out thru the front indicating full. I use the same process on my boat trailer.

Trent, forcing in too much grease can cause the rear rubber seal failure. Those covers you show look like the compression fit rubber caps? You can get the "bearing buddy" type metal inserts that seat into the outer hub that have the spring tension indicator to let you know it you need to add grease. these are not terribly expensive and work pretty well. This work repair is fairly easy to to do yourself- you can go on you tube and find a number of how to videos that take you step by step. Wheel hubs and bearings are fairly standard mechanical operations that any one can understand as long as you dont mind getting your hands dirty. If you are on the road long distances- its wise to carry a complete spare hub assembled setup for quick roadside replacement to get you out of a bind. OIl and grease forced mixed with water do procuce a light colored milky mixture. Certainly indicates water getting into your hub bearings.
If detected early they can be cleaned and regreased to continued use. If bearings or the race seats are pitted rusty you will have to repalce them since they will generate a lot of heat and come apart internally- even with grease applied.

Latest posts

Back