2003 Stratos Fish and Ski

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at buying a used Stratos with a 130hp Yamaha 4stroke. I received some pictures today and to me, it looks pretty similar to the Nitro layout. I don't know much about Stratos. Any opinions on quality of this manufacturer? Hey if it's good and he doesn't buy it maybe I will. Ha!

They are good boats. Tend to be on the fast side usually too. I know in the late 90's there were some recalls on certain hulls that "hooked" and were very dangerous at high speeds, but I think they were 18-20 footers. Do a search on it and I'm sure you'll find what models they were. Other than that, I've ridden in only 2, but they seemed fine to me.

Would you say they are better than Nitro? I wasn't sure how to answer that question.

Given the regular hog pilings on me....I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I may "inseminate" myself!

Teri, it's not worse than a Nitro, how's that? Stratos is a Genmar company.

Ok, I know that was a bad question to ask here but I said I thought they were of similar quality. If they are a tad better then I could pass that along. If you have a strong opinion, feel free to email me.

I've never heard of Genmar either. Shows how much I know.

Teri - What year? What length and max hp??

Tex has a 96 (I think) 18ft Stratos with a Rude 150 that FLIES!!

2003, 18', I think the mx hp is 135 and it has a yamaha 130 on it. He is asking $14800 for it.

Teri - The "HP to max" was my question, a 130 on a 135 max hp boat is great. Don't know anything about the Stratos boats, so can't comment other then driving Tex's 96.

Teri,

I have a 95' Stratos 278 DC (dual console) with a 150hp 'Rude on the back. I bought it used last year. I like the boat quite a bit, and it runs great. The layout is good (not great), and the overall quality seems fine. On a used boat, it's quite abit about how it was taken care of.

On my boat, the rod locker is kinda small. But, it's a 95 and only 17'8" in length. It's not going to be that big, and in 95, they typically didn't have rod lockers to handle 12 - 7' rods at once!

The fish and ski boats, for the most part should be labeled Ski and Fish. It's a family ski boat first and foremost, with a trolling motor added to the front along with a pole seat so someone can fish also. Much like the Nitro.

I would rate it as good or better than the Stratos. Again, since it's used, it's going to be evaluated on how the previous/current owners have kept it up. There's a couple of pictures of my Stratos in my library.

Tex

Teri.....Whats wrong with the Bannana Express that you are thinking of replacing it?

T.S.

Travis, I am just being a whiney woman. Had alot of problems in a year but not all of them are Nitro problems. So don't worry, I will probably rot in the Banana Boat.

Just for inquiring (nosey) minds, this boat is for a friend and not for me. If I bought anything, I'd buy a Ranger from JR but I need the kicker plate which I had made for the Nitro. That was not an easy task and I do not care to repeat it anytime soon. Ranger makes a plate by the way.

Jr, you are selling your Ranger? You are worse than me. Ha!

Teri

The last three years I fished tournaments my parter(a Stratos dealer)had a different Stratos every year. They are good strong boats. We have a lot still in the area even now that He is out of business. They look good and as said before really fly. The ride is ok but my partner only knew two throttle positions. All the way on or off. No matter if there were four footers rolling on the lake or not. They were 18 and 20 footers(the boats that is)

fatrap

Back