1st James River outing for Mike & Carlos

• Thread starter Michael Meier [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Meier

Reaction score
We bass fish this river in the spring and summer months but never did any catfishing there so we went down to give it a go.

Mud shad was pretty easy to get in the gill net as was the thread fins in the cast next.

2nd stop and we had a 41 in the 1st few minutes. Carlos was using a bass rod on this one!

Carlos41lbJames.jpg

It was pretty good all day and we scoped out a some more spots down river into the 90 foot range. Will be spending some more time down there.

Here is some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmxTdnyI_s

We bass fish all spring and summer! I take customers off-shore during the summer.

We Striper fish in the fall.

I deer/elk hunt here and in CO.

Carlos goes up and fishes for boiled bass on the hot side of Anna.

And we do this catfishing thing instead of sitting inside all winter sharpening hooks and waiting for the ice to melt or listening to some zero at a sportsman show "talk" about fishing. This keeps us busy.

Bill, come on down to the weigh-in for our catfish tournament Sat. Jan 10th at Ft. Washinton Marina. We fish from 7-3pm. Two fish weigh-in (100+lbs??) they are tagged and released. If you have never seen 40-60 lb blue cats, here is your chance! It's a hoot!!

UB,

Sure do man! Winter is the time to get out and give the gear a test, plus it is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on when it is the freaking cold outside HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Mike pretty much laid out the fishing/winter activities. As you can see from the video, we look like the michelin man out there but, it beats sitting in the chair watching TV (or sharpening hooks). I will still do my winter maintenance when it gets really nasty in February, but this helps pass the time. Another plus, you see some really good areas to bass fish, get some good practice on using electronics to find fish/breaks, and also good map recon skills.

Hope you can make the weigh in! Cool see see a 70 lb bag of fish place 7th or so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I live close to the James and Chick river and have never catfished it. I am alway chasing bass. After seeing that pic I think I need to figure out how to catfish!

Mike and Carlos you give any pointers on catfishing?

Tom,

Juut like bass fishing man! Look for the structure breaks, drop off's etc. Also USE YOUR ELECTRONICS! If you do not use, it is like being blind!

Cut bait is a must, and also have the gear to handle the monsters.....I am using a Nitro combo and it woks good on the Potomac, but it is underclassed for 30's and above on the James with your current.

Where do you live? We scoped out some good looking bass spots on the main river looking for the catfish hides.

Mike/Carlos,

Next time you go let me know. I live 15 minutes from the RT 5 bridge.

Mark

WOW guys, that is a HUGE fish!! Great video!!

Mike is the video master!

Funny story, first time we took the camera out they would not bite as soon as you touched the camera. No kidding, you would be getting a bite, so you get the camera staged for the pics when they take it down, and as soon as you staged the camera, they would quit!!! Camera shy fish???

Jaws, no way man! We launched out of the Appotomatox!!!

Ya gotta do something else in the winter besides bass fish. It's time for some serious yanking when it drops into the 30's for water temp! Huge fun.:D

Catfish Safari rods, 80lb braid, 175lb test surflon braid leader, and 9/0 Kale hooks.

Latest posts

Back