188 Sport Loading

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Every once and a while, I end up off center while loading my boat and need to back off and approach again. When launching I note how far the trailer is in so the back just floats off the trailer. When retrieving I back the trailer a little shallower than this. Typically this is so the water is just a couple of inches below the top of the fenders.

When I end up off center it is often the case that I have not stopped (i'm rushing) to make sure the boat is centered as it starts to hit the bunks and continue forward while trying to center as I go. Is it possible to load the boat while it centers itself while motoring up or do you find that you always have to back off the throttle to center then throttle up?

I've noticed other brand trailers with wider bunks where it seems that they center the boat quite easily. Is it that the Nitro chine design and bunk width make this a little difficult?

Paul

Hope this helps,

I motor up as slow as possible till I feel hull touching the bunks. I then ensure that the motor is straight and hammer it. Boat shoots right up on trailer , pretty much works 99.9% of time.

You may actually need to make the trailer a little shallower. On my 882 i need so dunk it so that just the tires are under and mo more aboiut 3" maybe 4 under the top of the fender. It goes on perfect every time like that, actually i cant think of one time i have had to retry to put it on. how many bunks do you have? my trailer has 6 bunks and it is the easiest boat i have ever loaded on a trailer.

Another thing i dont "power load" per say. I use the gas to get it up to the trailer then let the boats momentum carry it as far as it can then i use the hand crank for those last few inches. I see people get it on the trailer then hammer the throttle to get it up all the way and i dont like doing that. One would think its not good for the motor as well as the big backwash it leaves behind the ramp.

Hi Jim

My trailer has 6 bunks and it actually has a pair of bow rollers which supposedly pick the bow up. I'm not sure I could back the trailer in far enough to let it slide close to the bow stop without motoring since the back would probably be floating.

Although my boat is a fish and ski I thought that its hull was probably similar to one of the pure bass boat model. I'm wondering if the front bow rollers or the reason why they are there introduces a complication. I have not noticed any of the bass boat trailers with bow rollers.

I've had the boat for 4 years and just when I think I have the loading figured out I'll have a loading issue.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I want to get this part of the experience down to a no brainer.

Thanks

Paul

Jim

In your last entry, it wasn't clear whether the top of your fenders are under the water by 3 or 4 inches or the top of the fenders are 3 or 4 inches above the water.

Thanks

Paul

When I'm alone even on my Pro Deep V 17 I find the shallower the better or it will float between the bunks. With most of the bottom bunks exposed I power on then I jump out and crank it up the rest of the way and it stays strait. When I'm with another person its not a problem of course as if the trailer is too deep I hold the boat in place while being driven out of the water.

i also have a 882, i put the top of my fenders even with the water, that is ussually deep enough for the boat to drive right up to with in 6" of the winch. then i crank it up tight.

it is against the law for the most part to power load onto the trailer. it causes arosion (?) around the ramp and has led to ramp closing in some NH lakes.

GregD

My tin boat is a lot lighter than your Fish 'N Ski so I can, if I have to, rock the boat on the trailer to level it out. It helps me to scoot over to the middle seat to keep the boat level as well.

I load best with the trailer fenders a few inches above the water. I always back it all the way down to wet the bunks and then pull up to the right spot.

Harpo

If I don't power load it (the last 18" - 2'), it won't get where it needs to.

If I put the trailer any further into the water, the SUV will be in with it. Also, putting it too far in, generally results in the boat being offcenter.

I'm getting better at bringing it up to the bow roller, but still need improvement in my technique. Wife does a pretty good job, but she benefits from me 'coaching' her on when she's straight, and in good shape to come forward.

When my tourney partners help by driving the tow vehicle, it's pretty much my responsibility.

For the most part, it's somewhat like learning how to handle your boat (getting on plane, chine walking, porposing, etc.). Seat time.

Tex

With my 929, winching up onto the trailer is not an option. I back it in and watch my inside bunks or my fenders. If I do not get my trailer in the water far enough the TM bracket will catch on the bow roller. Too far in the water and it will not center. In very shallow water I will fill both livewells, that gives me a little more bow lift getting on the trailer. I have to power her hook eye right up to the bow roller.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back