188 Sport Deck Extension with Pedestal Base

• Thread starter Paul P [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/12458/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Adding a deck extension with a pedestal base was the best improvement I made to my 188 Sport as far as fishing goes.

I bought the deck extension with the boat and customized it by adding a pedestal base to open up the bow deck space. Using the standard pedestal location (the black hole just in front of the pedestal)is way too cramped. The pedestal base is mounted toward the front of the extension for stability since the extension is only press fit into place. To mount the pedestal base, a large hole where the pedesatal passes through had to be cut in as well as 6 holes to mount the base.

I also added 3 hatch pull straps so the bow hatches could be opened without taking the deck extension out.

When using a regular seat and pedestal, I first insert a 6 inch pedestal offset onto the post and then the seat to provide stability so the extension does not pull out while sitting down.

If you have a fish and ski, this is a must customization.
P4090044.jpg

Paul,

I just got the extension for mine. I really want to install a pedestal base like yours. Did you use a hole cutting bit for the base to sit in? I've noticed a bit of flexing in mine near the back. Is that why you edged toward the front. Any tips or what-outs before I start would be appreciated. I already have the bike seat. Just need to get up the nerves. Have already installed straps just like you show.

Thanks,

NoCAL

Hi NoCAL,

I thought you would be interested in this. I'll take a closer picture of the bottom of the extension when I go home and post it. My friend actually woks in a sheet metal shop and cut the hole for me.

The reason I mounted it in the front was so the front side of the extension doesn't pull up when leaning back.

I'll also take a picture of how I mount a regular seat with the 6 inch pedestal offset. When using a regular seat, your weight may actually fall forward of the post and cause the extension to lift in the back. With the offset, as you swivel around, you can manage to keep your weight over the middle of the extension minimizing the chance that the extension will pull out. The only time it has pulled out on me is when I swiveled around facing the stern and the seat swiveled beyond the front of the extension. Just need to be aware of not swiveling so the seat is offset forward of the extension.

Paul

You can just get a bent pedestal tube (Bill Dance, I believe thought of this first) and install it. This allows you the ability to move your seat back away from the bow

Latest posts

Back