1015 Mercury 150 Pr XS won’t rev pass 1200 RPM

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iveysbodyshop

Reaction score
Have changed the fuel primer bulb and filter with no help. I’m thinking something electrical

It is in what's called "limp mode"
The computer on board detects something possibly serious. Therefore prevents further damage by cutting off fuel and allowing you to limp to safety. This needs to be code read and figure out and resolved.
You did good by eliminating something easy and obvious, unfortunately it wasn't it.
You can research and eliminate more items one by one, but this could be wasted cost, compared to taking to a service dealer and fix it right.

The impeller is supposed to be changed out annually or every 100 hours whichever comes first. If you motor has the Guardian system it will not let it above an idle. Even if you see it peeing from the outlet it may not be enough to satisfy the system. Good luck. I have a 2017 Pro XS 175 HP and it demands a replacement annually or the system will not function correctly. I do it before it happens so that I don't waste a trip to a lake across the state.

Finally got a dealer to scan with a computer.
the float in the oil tank ( tank mounted on motor)had come apart… I had never herd of such, but the guy said it was a common thing for the mercury outboards. Thanks to Dawson Boat Center in Scottsboro Al.

And we are back on the water! glad it wasn't serious.

Good info Chrisiun, never forget the impeller and fuel filter.

Back