Z7 Cooler

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Brown2

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Z7 and I have noticed that it doesn't hold ice very well and it's worst characteristic is it's too small. It says it's insulated but I'm having a hard time believing that. Anyone come up with any innovative ways to keep this thing to hold ice longer? I was thinking about spray foam? Think it would work? Just a thought.

I use my boat cooler for storage and use a softsided cooler for my food and drinks with blue ice packs or frozen water bottles.

On my 929 in Florida, I cut a styrofoam cooler to fit the sides and bottom of the cooler. Worked well. When it wore out, easy to replace. Lost some cooler space but it was large enough it didn't matter.

Just an FYI. BJ's has 150 qt Coleman coolers for $70.00 but members can get a coupon for $15.00 off, $55.00 for that cooler is a great price. Cabela's has them listed for $175.00 I believe. Even if they're too big for the boat, they're perfect for cookouts and parties.

Mine's pretty much worthless as a cooler. It cracked after I bought the boat. They replaced it and it cracked again a couple weeks later. It's in the portside console and the whole console needed to be replaced. Followed that trip to Tracker with a couple more to line up the walk through windshield so the door would latch. Learned a lesson there. Ironically it's one of the few compartments I have in the boat that keeps things dry in a rainstorm. The ones advertized as "Dry" aren"t. I bring a small cooler with me for drinks.

fatrap

I think that's what i'm going to start doing. I know it's foamed around the cooler but I think adding any additional would probably be wasting my time. I had a tournament yesterday and the high was around 80. I put the drinks on ice around 130 am (hour drive) while it was roughly high 50's and all the ice had melted by 1100. Granted I know that's about 10 hours, but I've seen other boat brands coolers hold ice for well over 10 hours. Something I think Nitro could improve on.

Jason,

On my 08 Z7 th cooler works great, much improved over the one in my 882.

The only "trick" to mine and i find this holds true for any cooler is you have to re-ice it once everything is cold. What i do is i put my drinks and everything on ice when i leave the house, normally i empty my ice maker from my fridge into it. Once i get close to my destination i re-ice the cooler down and fill it up with as much ice as it will take with the drinks and food i have in there. Normally i put 10# of ice in there. I have never had mine not last an entire fishing day ever, no matter how hot it is. Normally i can fish a tournament on a hot day, drive 2-3 hours home and still have ice in there, sometimes even the next morning it still has some.

I have a 2012 Z8 and I have no issues with my cooler. It'll hold a case of beer, some bottled water, soda's, and sandwich meat with 20 lbs of ice in it and some room to spare. The ice lasts all day. I mean it's not a Yeti that'll hold ice for a week but it keeps everything cold for a full day. I always put drinks in it that are already cold though. Putting warm drinks on ice is no Bueno for keeping ice very long.

Latest posts

Back