Z6 vs Ranger Aluminum

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Ryon

Reaction score
Afternoon gents, I'm new to this site but have been reading a lot of topics and the information here is great. I'm hoping to be new boat owner this year and had pretty much narrowed my choice down to the nitro z6. However, now ranger has come out with their new aluminum line and i'm really liking the rt188. The two boats are darn near identical in price. I wanted to see what thoughts you had on which one you think would be a better option for a new boat owner, both short term and long term. Thanks

I can tell you this, the fiberglass boat will ride better. Think about what lakes you will be fishing and if there are horsepower limitations. If they are small lakes, then it is a wash. Big open lakes, I will keep my glass boat!

Aluminums are great boats, but look at the weight of the two with similar outboards.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Thanks E5, I hear that a lot from other people about the ride being better on a fiberglass and ultimately will likely get the z6 but I've heard the new aluminums ride much better now than in the past. I've also heard aluminum is generally cheaper to maintain but who knows. I live in the north texas area so no issue with speed restriction and most of the lakes nearby are what i would call medium size lakes i guess although i'm not that far from larger lakes as well.

In looking at the specs, the z6 has 90 beam and 1300lb whereas the ranger has 92beam and 1180 so fairly close. Do you think the 120lb difference would make that big of difference.

In my experience maintaining the glass is as easy as it gets. Keep it washed and waxed. I use spray wax on mine about twice a month. I wash it, let it dry and use pledge (yes furniture polish) in between waxes. Mine is a 1994 170 DC, I got it used and the previous owner used pledge only and mine looks like new. I agree with glass being a great ride, I will never go back to aluminum. Just my two cents :)

I am in the Houston area, and from my limited experience, most of the lakes around north Texas can and will get rough, they do around here! I have a buddy with a Z6, he runs all over Conroe with it like there was no tomorrow. His boat has a 90 Merc.

Hey Tim. I'd go with the Z6. I'm 65 YO and I've owned a Ranger 350V (glass) a PolarKraft BassAmerica (alum) and a couple of Bayliner Bass (glass) boats. The Z6 hits all of the sweet spots for a casual bass fisherman, like me. The 115 Pro XS is turn key click burrrrrrr, and hole shot with a "whale tail" is awesome, handling is great and a little "Bass Boat Saver" applied to the hull after every trip keeps her looking new.

Just double check the rub rail for leaks ... ALL around the boat. And most importantly ... make sure you hook up with a GOOD DEALER - that doesn't go out of business two months after you buy the boat. (like Choplin Marine in Sanford, NC).

I bet if you did a little searching, you could find a new carry-over 2011 or 2012 Z7 for about the same price.

Latest posts

Back