Z-7 or 190TX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLsportsman

Reaction score
:)Debating between a Z-7 and a Pro Team 190 TX. I know there are a several pros and cons for each boat and it depends on what conditions I plan on using the boat, but I was looking for person experiences from Z7 or 190TX owners. Oh - the boat will see some bracish water

Thanks for the inputs - Doug Fort Walton beach, FL

:)

hmmmmmm....Well as you stated, there are factors we don't know. I will tell you this...no matter which you get brackish, more importantly Florida brackish, water will eat both trailers alive. Even if you rinse and wash them every time out of the water. Cheap galvanized trailers will get destroyed as well. The only ones I saw last when I was in Florida were Aluminum...period. As far as the boat, tin or glass? If you give us the extra details we can give you the pro's and cons. I'm a glass guy because I like bigger hp, smoother ride, stability in the wind and I don't fish water that is too stumpy. Give us the details.

Go with the Z7 for reasons Tox stated.

Don't ask me why I wouldn't recommend spot welded tin..Uh I mean welded:blink:

I have a 2009 Z7 With a 150HP Optimax. It is a great boat. It has plenty of storage for lures and rods. Plenty of room to move around in. It is a duel console and I did put a talon on it. I got the 8ft model and it is remote control. The boat runs at 60+ when trimmed out. Hole shot was a problem at fist but BP got that taken care of. It does not eat you alive on fuel usage. The only problem I have had is the water impellar when out at 30 hours and Mercury would not fix it under warranty. I was not happy with that going out that soon. I did change out all the electronics and installed a HDS5 in the dash and a HDS7 up front with Structure Scan and Side Scan Imaging. These work great. I als installed an hour meter on it. I like to know how many hours the motor has on it. It is a great boat and I would buy another one in the again.

I have a 2011 Z7 dual console w/ a 150 Pro XS, 24P Tempest and I absolutely love this boat, loaded down w/ a partner , full live well and full tank of fuel , i'm getting 62 on GPS, that's trimmed trying to make weigh in time ! Hole shot is great and it has a awesome cruising speed. After I purchased it I installed a HDS5 Gen 2 in the dash , moved the Mark 5 to the bow, put a hot foot, and a 10 " manual jack plate.Installed The Bait Bar system in it as well. By myself i'm getting 64 GPS. Storage is endless in this thing also. Yes I love my boat.

I will answer the problem with the water impeller. They said it was a moving part and is not covered.

Now for the Lowarnce over Hmminbird. I have used the Humminbird and they are great units. I want to try the Lowarnce after seeing my partner using them on his boat. I like the way you could change you pages and set up very easy. The display was great and the sun did not affect them. The side scan is great and very easy to use. Overhal a great unit. I do not have a jack plate. But I do have a talon Bracket behind the motor. I am going to send you some pictures of the set up. The one thing that I did do to the trolling motor was put a sping kit in it. It did not come with the spring to kick it back out when you hit something with it. I would have to raise it up to straighten it out. The kit cost about $35.oo and took about 15 minutes to install. No drilling needed. Chect the trolling motor on the new boats and see if they have started putting the spring in them. Don't let them tell you that you don't need them. I fish around a lot of rocks and you will need the springs. I will put some pictures on here for you.

By the way go with Hyd Steering. I put it on mine and you can turn with one hand.

<a href="http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/donaldprater/?action=view

The bracket spacer comes for both sides of the motor. The cover is a nitro cover it was optional for the boat. It is trailerable. It has the ratchet system on it. The motor cover has a pad built in it. It is expensive but worth it. It does not scrach the top of the motor.

If you go with the talon you can install it yourself. It is no Hyd. system It is all electric with remote control this is the 8ft model. Deployes within 3sec. It also has rough water mode. I had BP put the brackets between the motor for me. I did not have anyway to hold the motor up. Did not want to drop it. Anymore question just let me know and I will try to help you. Another thing I did was buy alumium wheels for my trailer.

I had a 6" plate on 1st , but I felt like I could get more out of my boat so i called a friend who does prop work and asked if he would work my prop, he asked if i had a plate on and I told him what I had, what I was running w/ a load all the details. He told me before he touches my prop that I needed to put a 10" plate so I did. My mph went from loaded down running 58-59 GPS to 61-62, so thats why I did 10". I went w/ lowrance simply because I have always had lowrance units in my boats. I read all the reviews available and stayed with what I know. My transducer is shoot through also.

This is a 10" Vance Manufacturing Plate

jack plate 10.jpg

I edited my post, should be fine now, if you look at my library pic , I have since added a matching sticker on my passenger console . The pic of the kid is my 5yr old son who is already a die hard fisherman, he absolutley loves it.

Yes I was a F4 and F100 crew chief. I was in from January 1968 to January 1972. I spent one year 1969-70 in Viet Nam with the 480th TFS stationed at Phu Cat. My last base was Seymour-Johnson NC. I collect air force patches and buy and sell with other collectors. If you do or know someone who does let me know. There is a forum on the web that a lot of us belong to. It is a great form like this one with a lot of knowledge and covers all of the world. I trade with a lot of guys over seas What did you do. Take alook at this forum. www.usafpatches.com. Let me know what you think.

Hey dupree I was thinking of going with that plate on my 2011 z7...What bolt hole do you have it mounted in?Also did it take care of the chine walk at 60 mph? And one more question what kind of rpm's are you getting at wide open throttle.Thanks

My brother was a load master on the 130 He retired from Alus AFB Oklahoma. Great to see another vet on this site. Get on the other Patch site and we can vist there. Best of luck with the new boat you will love it.

It is mounted through the second hole from the top on the engine, i'm 2.5" below the pad, water pressure is 18, with a load i'm @ 5600 62gps, no load 5700 to 5750 64gps, the chine is alot more managable since I done this, makes it easier to get the most out of it while still being able to drive it.I bought the Vanve plate and I was really impressed w/ the quality of it. Can't believe this boat is rated for a 200hp engine, that has to be scary.

By the way thank you to all you Vets and all who are currently serving our military, it isn't said enough THANK YOU ALL, GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

Hey thanks alot I believe Im going the same route...And you're right about a 200 that is one of the reasons they changed the rating on them after 11.

Back