Your thoughts on a project

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Dennis

Reaction score
Hey Guys and gals! I have a 2002 nitro 700LX-DC, on the front deck there is a storage compartment right at the step-up to the casting deck. Since this boat only has one livewell at the back, I am tinkering with the idea of turning that into a live well...the question is...HOW? Is there some sort of "livewell insert" that I can get and drop in the compartment and then plumb it it with my pumps and such? Where would be the best route to run the plumbing through? Drill and run under deck? Or get some of the heavy duty hose and plumb all the way to the back and put pumps back in the bilge?

Is it a dry compartment that has the plastic liner?

My 94 Pro 18 had dual livewells and I loved it.......

It is a carpeted storage compartment currently.. I can get pics tonight if needed.

I would think if you could find the right size liner...shouldn't be a problem to plumb in.

When I upgraded my livewell in a new casting deck I bought a "livewell" from Tempress through Cabelas Marine catalog... I am sure BPS has them as well...

Just a thought... you're gonna beat fish up pretty badly with a forward livewell if you get into rough water.

I've owned two boats with forward livewells (Cajun MVP and Pro 171). Both of them dang near killed fish every time I would get into rough water. I prefered to squeeze everything into the rear livewell before running to ensure I wouldn't kill all of my fish. Now, that isn't to say that you can't beat up fish in a rear livewell in rough water too - been there, done that. But think of how a boat rides in the water. The most stable part of the boat is the pivot point right at the seating area, and immediately aft of it. Anything forward of the consoles moves up and down quite a bit. Add rough water and it's like putting fish in a washing machine.

If you still want to do it, I would ensure the liner is thick enough to hold the weight of the water you plan to add to it. If it's a thin "dry storage" locker, I would definitely pass on that idea. You would be better off rigging a icechest with a portable livewell system than risking cracking the dry storage liner, and dumping all that water (and several fish) into your bilge area while running.

In addition, the added water to the front area of your boat will cause it to handle differently. Both of my Cajuns were more difficult to get on plane when the front livewell was full, and the handling suffered a bit too.

All the best,

Glenn

I'll second everything Glenn said, he's spot on. Fished with a fellow Cajun owner and that front tank is a fish killer!

Tim N

Glenn, I have a question. What don't you know about fishing, boating, rods and reels?????

Man you have a great deal of knowledge. I have never seen a question asked that you don't have a great answer for. Glad you found this site.

Bubby:)

Dennis,

If you do mount your livewell in the front (or really anywhere for that matter) try to put some of that expanding closed cell foam, avaialable from plumbing and some hardware/home supply stores, that is used under whirlpool tubs and other plastice tubs, under the livewell after you have "fitted" it. It supports the bottom and the livewell won't crack off around the lip... (But it must be closed cell to prevent water logging). If you must put one in the front, try orienting it long dimension front to back so the fish are not banged up against the sides as much. Also, paint it black on the outside to help keep them calm when the lid is closed.

Thanks for all the great responses, I am going to do some catalog shopping and see what I can come up with. I may just end up doing a square cooler that will fit on the deck area just behind the casting deck..mainly for simplicity and also so I wont lose the storage area. The main time I would need the live well is when fishing with my buddy here. That would make it easier to seperate our catch at the end of the day (or night).

Thanks for the kind comments Bubby. Just trying to help out whenever I can. People have done it for me, and I just like to return the favor whenever I can.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back