You gotta be kidding me!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judgerr

Reaction score
I have had no issues so far with my Boat it self. So far it has been just fine, no problems. Had problems wiith the motor but that seems to be fixed.

But I am just wondering what kind of Idiot designs the horns for Tracker? Any body else got a wimpy horn? Or is it just the Z-6 that has it? My Grandson has a better horn on his Bicycle! I think I could yell at another Boat and have a better chance of being heard in an emergency! It would be embarassing to use that thing. I went and got a whistle.

But maybe it is just me!:unsure:

Nobody designs the horns for Tracker. It's a standard 12V marine horn used throughout the industry on a multitude of boats. :wacko:

I myself wonder about my horn and while I do blow my own horn, I have tooted that thing in humor at times. I think they are old Yugo surplus horns :lol: Anyway I've often wondered if it would be heard by a big ski rig with stereo blastin away, alcohol onboard etc etc. I once was around one of those boats and they had a really loud air horn to go with his boomin speakers. just my cent

You are not alone. I cannot hear my horn 10-ft from the boat. :unsure:

It is a pathetic little thing tucked under the console. Haven't decided how I want to modify it yet, if at all.

I've yet to own a boat that the factory horn was worth a dang shortly after use. Too small a guage wiring, corrosion, cheap part to begin with, etc.....the list goes on why they just don't last, primarily being in and around water and humidity does horns in, regardless of hull builder. Canned air horns or the aforementioned whistle satisfies the regs fine, or install a set of 12V air compressor trumpet air horns and really get some attention. :D :
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...essories-_-Air Horns + Sirens-_-700522&ci_sku

Richard's statement is more true and factual. I've tried in the past to warn off ski boats and pleasure crusiers with a compressed air horn. Most times it goes ignored.

fatrap

Also, when a wave comes over the front or you wash it, water goes straight into the horn and kills it. My Z6 horn lasted less than a month, and your right it made such a Mickey Mouse sound, we only used it as a joke.

Went down to my local auto store and bought a $9 auto horn, used the 2 wires form the "Wimpy Horn" and now, it actually works.

The Z6 horn is built into the front nav light so don't hurt those wires.

I just keep my air horn behind my seat so it's handy to blast the dinkledorfs!

Some horns have a tuning screw. Might be worth a shot, but I think the cheap horn problem is industry wide.

My experience is, on any boat smaller than 26', the horn is good for letting the guy at the gas dock know you need to fill up. And he has to be standing on the finger of the slip you are pulling into when you hit the horn.

Canned air horn! I think I might go that way. Just keep it in the drink holder where it will be handy, and just forget about the stock horn.

Thanks!
Well find someplace besides the drink holder. My buddy had his guest holder occupied by the air horn and I spilled the only beer I had on board.

My Z9 horn stopped working from wash and warranty covered a replacement...which was the same dinky piece of crap as before. So THOMM059 got a replacement horn from an auto parts place and used the same two wires as before and it worked???? Is that true. Which store and part..if you recall? I don't want to use a cup holder and don't want a BLAST noise either

I'm in Australia so it's a bit far to come get some. They are twin trumpet style air horns, 12 volt. Comes with a tiny compressor, the 2 horns and hose. Simply mounted it under the deck right beside the old horn which is now land fill. Simply wiring 2 wires, pos and neg, I did up the fuse to 10 amp but thats it.
Any would do the same, you would probably buy them over there from any Walmart, boating store, auto store etc. If you mount them above deck, they are louder than Monica Lewinsky with a soiled dress, but under the deck, really loud still.

I carry an air horn when it is required to do so but otherwise have never bothered. Relying on a horn for anything is foolish and poor seamanship.

so you're saying anyone relying on ONE horn that isn't a canned air horn is foolish and is a poor seaman. Hummm, guess I'll stay foolish and be a poor seaman.

Latest posts

Back