Yamamoto Article

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC [URL]http://www.insideline.net
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
For a little reference piece I put together an article for Yamamoto. Since I am going through this right now (grand announcement soon) I though some of you might like to read it. I think I got the bulk of issues covered but it is good reference material or you could print it out for someone else who is looking at a Boat. Enjoy and give me feedback or anything else you would add to the list.
http://www.insideline.net/index.php/equipment/1209-shopping-for-a-used-boat

I'm thinking of looking at a good used Express this year...good read;)

Great read Tox! I got really, really lucky on my 170DC. It was an original owner but I let my emotions lead me when i bought it. Turns out it was well maintained both mechanically and cosmetic. Next time however I will follow your list to a T. Appreciate the great info!!

And I thought all he could do was look BAD in a Skirt!! He can write too!! LOL!!!

Great article Tox!

TEE, I'm not gonna tell you anything you don't already know about Tin Rigs and checking the welds/rivets. Let's just say I know someone who ran an Express here on the river and he developed a much bigger problem than your tin rig did!! There are other things I didn't get into or expand on but since I am buying now, it sure made me thing about it. I didn't say anything about actually testing the electronics and the Trolling Motor but that is common sense. I could have gone into a lot more detail on the trailer as well. Thanks for the positive feedback though!!:cool:

What kind of problem and did they fix it?

I've not heard of a lot of problems with Express..hopefully it was an isolated case?

I know Trackers were not isolated after surfing the net;)

BTW..you still look pretty good in a skirt....NOT!:p

WOW...Great article Toxic! You have a literary flair as they say.

I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the welds on the Targa I just bought. And I'm wondering if towing the thing will have an impact as well? It's a 4 hour drive for us to Lake Ontario and I plan on making that trip a lot.

Thun, towing is something I am very experienced in. I towed my 929 all over creation. I can honestly say over some roads that I shouldn't have. I towed from VA to michigan, Wisconsin, Vermont, Florida and it is 65 miles one way to the lake I guide on. If your trailer bunks are properly adjusted, it will minimize any rubbing or damage to the boat but I can tell you without a doubt that I got some stress cracks from trailering. They were easy to identify because of where they were located and how they were formed. I also fished in the winter. Cold fiberglass and flex don't mix well. I would never complain and they were to be expected. Trailering tin with welds shouldn't be a problem and I honestly believe any weld that lets go is a defect. period. The whole idea of a weld is to make the connection as strong as if it were solid metal. I was a certified welder and worked on rail cars in a past life where my welds were x-rayed for integrity. Your welds on a tin rig should be the least of your worries.

Thank you Toxic, you're towing and welding experience has put my mind at ease. Now if I can just remember to put the plug in the boat...

Latest posts

Back