Wow! Talk About Spearing a Wave!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Sittiing here surfing the web and watching the History Channel and saw the story of the aircraft carriers USS Bennington, Wasp, and Hornet and how they had to endure a typhoon during the final days of WWII. I did a Google and found these unbelievable pictures. Consider the Bennington was over 820 feet long and I have no guess at how high the flight deck is.

uss bennington.jpg

On 5 June 1945 USS Bennington was damaged by a typhoon off Okinawa and retired to Leyte for repairs, arriving 11 June. Her repairs completed, the carrier left Leyte 1 July 1945 and during 10 July-15 August took part in the final raids on the Japanese home islands.

uss bennington2.jpg

This picture isn't the same typhoon but happened in 1952. Just shows what real waves look like.:eek:

uss bennington3.jpg

This photo was taken in the fall of 1952 in the North Atlantic during a hurricane with winds at 80 MPH that day. Shortly after this photo was taken the ship dipped back into the waves and lost several aircraft that were on deck to the sea.

All I can say is dayum.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back