Worm Rods

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al cannia

Reaction score
A while back we had a discussion about best worm rods and St. Croix seemed to score alot of points on this thread.I have been looking at them, can I get a model # from someone who has one.The ones I have looked at do not say worm rod and I would like a model# from someone first hand.Also like the feel of one of the Falcon worm rods.

Al,

It all depends on what you want to spend. I mainly use two types for worms and it also depends on the weight. I use my St Croix avid 7'MF if im using less then 1/2 oz weight, anything bigger i step it up to my Avid 7'MHF. I mainly use 1/2 ox or less so i use the Med action rod 75% of the time. St Croix rods are a bit stiffer for a given rating then most other rods so the med action still has plenty of backbone for hooksets, its more like a Med Heavy from other brands. The avids go for like $160, if you dont want to spend that kind of dough they make the same actions in a premier that would go for less then $100, it will still get the job done. For the money a premier is a fantastic rod and a great value imho. Also if you prefer a shorter rod they make them in 6'6" as well. Sorry if i sound like a St Croix infomercial but its all i use and have for the last 8 years, i have 14 of them.

PS, The St Croix balances out real nice with a shimano reel.

Latest posts

Back