Womens Bass Fishing Circut

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
Teri's post about Danica got me to thinking.

Does BASS really need a seperate TX for women. I have no problem what so ever with women being involved in the sport of bass fishing, I just don't see the need for their own seperate division. I feel that a woman can very easliy compete on the same level as a man when it comes to fishing. Its not like pro basketball or anything like that. I feel if a woman is good enough to compete why can't see compete against a man and fish the BASS. You don't have to be 6'3 250 lbs to flip a jig.

What are your guys takes on this subject?

I agree 100% JimBob, the question is in the current ranks of TX fishermen, are they MAN enough to let a woman fish and not be a$$holes? I agree that unlike some professional sports there is NOT a strength/endurance issue, only thing I could think of was taking a leak, but that is easy enough if the guy doesn't look (or vise-versa).

I realy think pro/amature bass fishing still has the "redneck male" stigma and i'll be there are some stoneage guys still around that would make it hard (nasty comments, vandalism...) on a decent woman.

Trep

Are there any rules that a woman can't compete in a BASS tourney? I saw some interviews the other day and while a couple of women would like to fish with the men most did not.

How would BASS keep a woman out if she belonged to the Federation and got in that way?

BTW, I saw a woman pro on another show the other day. She was in some sort of modified HUGE Jonboat looking thing (they didn't show it for long) and she was blowing across the water, standing up at the console, and without a vest on. Not a good picture.

I have no problem with women fishing in tournaments if they want to and can qualify. After seeing the recent fish kills, I am having a serious problem with ANYONE fishing tournaments.

Bill

I have to disagree with it not being an endurance sport. I used to think that too before I hit 30 but now I realize after getting into tournys how tough it can be on a body. As far as women, I feel like they can have just an much or more endurance.

I think that if they want there own division that it is good and if they want to compete with the men it is good. If I were up in those ranks in fishing I would just be worried about where my fish were going to come from, not who the other person was on the boat. Clark

I'll guarantee you my woman can stay out there and fish as long as I could and probably catch more fish:lol: I think it's the red hair the fish like....kinda' like the red hook thing:p

I have (personnally) never had a single issue with women in fishing - professional or amatuer. My wife loves to fish, and does rather well. She's taught me a thing or two over the years. She is more willing to be patient, try something different, and she is much more attentive than most people I know. Years ago, when pre-fishing for a team tournament down on the Mobile Delta, she noticed a (lizard/skink/salamander ???) on the shoreline. It had a black back, bright orange head, and a tannish colored belly. When we got back, she called up a friend of ours who hand pours plastics, and had him make up a lizard for her in that color pattern. Although we didn't win the tournament the following week, we caught the heck out of fish on that funky colored lizard - and it was the only thing they would bite!!! I pay attention.... but man! Not to that level. At least not back then.:p I've learned my lesson about paying attention since then.:D

Anyway - here is the downside. My wife joined one of my bass clubs in Virginia quite a few years back. Most of the guys in the club accepted her, and welcomed her - just as long as she only fished with me.:angry: Now, some of them, like my friend Rob, didn't care if she fished with him, me, or anyone else. He had the same attitude about it as I did. But others complained that "my wife won't like the idea of me fishing with another woman". I told them they were "completely safe", but they didn't want to hear it. They either had a problem with "using the bathroom in front of a woman", or used some other excuse, like the "wife won't like it" thing.

My whole thoughts were "geez guys.... grow up."

Glenn

Clark - What I meant by "unlike some professional sports there is NOT a strength/endurance issue" is that its not like Football where the shear muscle strength and endurance is a male vs. female physiological issue. I did not mean to portent that Fishing does NOT require endurance, just the opposite, but that the "type" of endurance needed for fishing does NOT favor men vs.women.

All I know is that I'm watching ANYTHING with Melinda Mize in it.:wub::wub::wub:

20050629ho_bass_m_mizePJ01_230.jpg

I got ya Trep, I was just complaining because it is kicking my butt anymore. I think I need to get back to the gym to get my energy back up. It usually doesn't hit me till I have to go back to work. Maybe I shouldn't go back to work?? Clark

The problem with women fishing against the men isn't their abilities or the endurance or who's partnered with who.....

Historically, fishing is primarily a male sport. Few women have had the opportunity to fish all their lives and be taken seriously. Most view themselves in the light of a secondary roll as well.

Few women make the decisions as to which rod they are going to buy. Which lure to use. Which boat to drive - if they drive at all.

To a large extent, women's own views of themselves are holding them back..... Some of you saw a survey passed around by Kathy Magers just a few months ago asking women anglers about themselves. Right after the woman's name and address, she asked "Spouse?" This question immediately says "you can't be here on your own." You'd never see a question like that asked of men. And this was Kathy's survey!

The difficulty in putting women in direct competition with men is that so very few have the experience necessary to compete at that level. To bring as many into the sport as possible and gain the necessary experience, there are the Bass 'n Gal tournaments; kinda like NASCAR's Busch series. Then, as they gain experience, they will move up. Believe me, they will move up!

me!

Latest posts

Back