Winterizing - that time again

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
Well, it's about that time again but this year has been different and I need some advice. I was only able to get out about 5-6 times they entire summer. :eek:Terrible I know. Here's my question: With this minimal usage, should I still fully winterize things? I haven't had the boat out in 4-6 weeks so it's dry in every nook and cranny. Certainly, I shouldn't need an oil change, right? and the Lower unit should be good, maybe? Advice appreciated.

Another issue is the fuel. I only used about 1/4 tank all year after filling last fall before the big nap. It was treated but...don't want to chance it. What's the best way to remove the fuel (and use in another vehicle) so I can refill with fresh/treated?

Boat is a tin PT185

Motor is a 60hp 4stroke merc.

Thanks!

Mabe BobB will have different advise but here's mine. If I were in your shoes, I would fill the tank to the top with 1 grade up octane fuel, treat it at the "storage" rate and put it on the muffs to get it into the motor. I don't know if you fog your motor or not. I would change the 4 stroke motor oil and LU as well. Then do whatever other winterizing you need to do..like unhooking and draining WP/speedo gauges, etc. All cheap insurance.

Winterizing sucks. I don't see you you guys do it. Winter in TN is bad enough. I fish through it, but it takes a lot of clothes, masks, boots, and rod dipping. If it were me, I'd want to get that year old gas out of there and burn it in my car. You probably have check valves there if it is not an old boat. Mine has the anti-siphon valve handy coming off the top of the tank, if yours is like this, you could unscrew that and siphon it out from there with a small line, pumping that gas out with the ball would take a long time. Maybe there is an even better way than that, I just don't know. If you do take the anti siphon valve out you will need to put thread dope on the threads made for use with gas when you re-install it, ACE hardware carries it.

Winterizing is a touchy subject, my brother in law has a 1964 Johnson 50 hp that has never been winterized in it's life it lives in vt. yet starts and runs like a champ every year. My lawnmower is a four stroke I drain the gas out of it runs fine. But for some reason I don't dare do that to my boat motor. We just bought our tracker with a 60 merc 4 stroke the oil will be changed as well as LU and I will disconnect fuel line and run all gas out of motor

Latest posts

Back