Winterizing Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Creamer

Reaction score
I got a question for everyone. I winterized my boat last weekend before it hit freezing temps here in MO. I filled the tank, added Stabil, sprayed fogging oil in the spark plug holes (which I found Ill need to change the spark plugs before next year) and ran the motor to get the stabilized fuel in to motor, and changed the lower unit oil. My question involves winterizing an Optimax Motor.

I followed the directions on the winterizing page and believe I got everything right. But, when I went to bass pro to buy some of the supplies, I asked one of the boat service guys for any pointers. He did everything he could to try and talk me out of winterizing the boat. This website made it seem really easy but he said that the Optimax motors are a lot different than the other motors and required a lot more stuff. He didnt actually say what that was but he said it would cost near $200. I went ahead and did everything myself, but I wanted to see if there was any truth to what he was saying or if he was just trying to drum up some work.

My only other question would be on the lower unit oil. I replaced the oil that was in there (which came out blueish grey) with some from penzoil that was bright yellow. I just wanted to make sure I got the right stuff since the color was so different.

Obviously this is my first time winterizing so any info would be appreciated. I think I got everything done right but would just like some reassurance.

Josh

Opti's are different animals than the carb'd motors. I had mine done a couple weeks ago at the dealer. I asked about doing it and was told there is a special "cocktail" they run thru the motor, along with adding oil to the cylinders(spark plug holes), changing the fuel filter, and lower unit oil. I believe they grease the prop shaft spline as well, and grease all the zerk points.

Costs me $160

Yeah, the guy I talked to said something about a cocktail also. He didnt elaborate so it kinda sounded like a little bit of baloney.

I just changed everything like people had said here, Im sure theres not that much of a difference.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd comment this.

How much is a new Optimax - about $14,000.00.

How much is the Factory winterizing (about $160.00) based upon Bruce's comment.

How much did you actually save?

If I needed to 'winterize', I wouldn't even think twice. I'd let them do it.

Tex

Maybe Bob B or Pat will chime in on this topic but I have my Optimax winterized by a dealer. For the exact reason Tex gave just knowing it's done right for my motor is well worth the $$ to have it done.

Something of interest for anyone considering a Evenrude motor my Pontoon boat has an 05 90hp Evenrude ETEC and there is no dealer involved in the winterizing of the motor. Just change the lower end oil, add stabil and run through a routine with the key and it winterizes it self. The dealer showed me how to do it and the instructions are in the owners manual it's pretty nice to be able to do it without having to pay someone to do it.

Cass :cool:

Latest posts

Back