Winterizing Followup

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Stinson

Reaction score
Last week we had a good discussion on winterizing. Last weekend I fished a club tourney and discussed winterizing with my partner. We were in an 8? Ranger and I asked him how he winterized his motor. He said that when he brought it out of the water he ran it for a few seconds and that was about all he did. I began to think that Ken's comment to never run the motor dry was a little conservative. I later made a comment on how well he had maintained his Ranger when he told me it was an 85 model. He said that this wasn

Steve, you can destroy the fins on an impeller in seconds of dry run. NEVER do it! For winter, put stabil in your tank, fill it as to prevent condensation. Run it for a few minutes until you're certain the stabilize gas has made it through the system. Have you can of fog ready, while running spray some into each carb until it nearly stalls the motor. If at all possible try to run RV anti freeze via a garden hose/funnel and muffs through the lower unit. Then when it's shut down, remove the plugs and spray fogging into each cylinder as well. Replace the plugs but leave the spark wire undone. Spray the entire inside of the motor down with silicone or any water protectant. Then put the cowl back on and trim the motor straight up and down to drain any remaining antifreeze. Also be sure to drain and replace your lower unit lube. Then your motor is set to hybernate! I've done it for years and never had a problem. My rebuild was due to a bad VRO! Also NEVER ignore what a bad tech tells you is a bad alarm. If it's going off, there IS something wrong! The whole process takes maybe an hour and about $25 worth of supplies. A shop will charge $75-$100 for it. I say save the money and buy a new rod! Good luck.

that's what I was going to say!!!!!

My idea of winterizing the boat is putting extra gloves inthe storage compartment :)

Latest posts

Back