Winter walleye tactics?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Since MOFish and I are planning a walleye trip this December.....

I only know one way to target walleye: I fish below the dams on the Mississippi or in the deep holes at the ends of the wing dikes. I use 3/4 and 1 oz jigheads tipped with minnows and trailing a stinger treble hook. I bounce these 1 to 2 feet above the bottom.

Any other suggestions?

me!

The Kaskaskia holds plenty when the water cools both at the dam and at the bridge going out of Carlyle.(The lake side has them, more at the dam, and the rocks around Keyesport Marina) Low Water Dam under the Chain of Rocks bridge and the bridge supports (I-270) also has good wallys. Below the Alton locks (#13?), on the Miss has good walleye as well as the bridge directly below going to St. Charles. (Bridge makes a turn halfway across.) All are within an hour of you. Also try 1/2 to 1 oz. bottom bouncers with 4-5ft. spinner rigs (chart or gold blades) tipped with a minnow, leach or grub(art. or live grub). Wally diver crankbaits and shad raps in firetiger, perch, chart/wht...bright colors, work well below the locks/dams on the rip-rap. Stay at 8# or less for alot more action. We'd use multi rigs of 3 or 4, 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs to get the weight to hold bottom and show multiple baits to the fish. Space them 3 or 4 inches apart and drag them or cast them. (You'll catch your share of white bass and everything else, too!)The nastier overcast days has always been the best for me. Good luck!

Dan, we're gonna have to get you to come back up this way a few times a year and give us some personal guidance to your old spots! Thanks for the hints!

Minnows?? I thought they were the fish that he catches!!!

Bob G.

Ken,

Scott ties his minnows to the center of the stick of dynamite...20lb mono...short 2" fuse....big rock tied to the non-fused end of the dynamite... Works great on suspended Walleye...catfish...white bass...carp...suckers...gold fish...guppies and anything else that happens to be swimming in the "general vicinity"!

Before or after I spend 2 hours drilling holes through 16" of ice????? LOL

I was kidding. I don't ice fish anymore. I have an aversion to the cold! Once football is done, and the snow's too deep to run the dog, I get cabin fever. I know, you're thinking, "you, no! Surely not Rob" But no really, I do! It happens, truly! LOL Until end of March when I can at least pull the boat out and start getting ready for season.

Dang! All you guys know what I do better'n I do!

I use a 3/4 or 1 oz round, painted jig head because I'm verticle jigging in 15' to 30+' in the tailwaters of a dam or in the current at the ends of wing dikes on the Mississippi.

I attach a shiner hooked through the upper lip and then attach a stinger treble hook to it's tail.

Scott - I've had good luck with a standard length jig head, sliding the hook in the mouth then out the gill plate, careful not to hit the gills, impaling the minnow just under the dorsal fin. This keeps the minnow much more lively longer, freeing up his mouth for increased life span and adding the bait's natural action to the tail without the stinger. The hook point at the dorsal still gets 'em very well. No wut I meen, Vern?

hmmmm Scott,

Eye's in December......

1. Drive out on water.

2. Cut hole in water

3. Impale frozen live bait on hook.

4. Sit on frozen bucket with leeeeeetle tiny rod.

5. Catch 1/2 frozen Walleye.

Brrrrrrrr....Makes me shivvvvver just thinking about it.

TOXIC

Sorry, TOX..... The Mississippi is quite navigable in mid- and late-December. No where near frozen over. Not even packs of ice. Just pretty darn cold!

Sitting on ice over a little hole has absolutely no appeal to me whatever!

Let's see Eye's in December in Georgia (we've got them in Lanier on the north end):

1. Bundle up 'cause it's cold, make sure you put a sweatshirt on over your t-shirt, it might be 60 degrees!

2. Trailer boat to ramp, launch and head to spot.

3. Take LIVE minnows out of aerated bait well and impale on jig head in 60 degree water.

4. Sit on nice sun warmed Tracker seat with light action pole sipping apple cider.

5. Catch very active and warm Walleye. Put in cooler have for dinner!!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... 60 degree's ...... Makes me shivvvvver just thinking about it.

Trep!!

Sorry it took so long to respond here about the minnows, but here's a little tip for you...hook the minnows UPSIDE DOWN...they will continually struggle to right themselves, and walleye cannot resisit a very lively minnow in distress!!!

Sometimes we tail hook them if we are vertically jigging... My problem with Ken's idea is that by the timne I get upside down I'm too disoriented to hook the minnow...then I have to stand on my head and I need both hands...oh well good idea hard to do that's all

Latest posts

Back