Winter storage...snow

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Flattem

Reaction score
I have a 16' deep v w/single console. I have the standard fitted cover. I have snow...not so much this year, however, I expect more to come (Minnesota).

The fun part is that I have the opportunity to brush off the 1-16" snow after I brush off my driveway.

Has anyone in the northern parts built anything to deflect the snow...I have the same problem with rain...pooling.

I am thinking of building a fore-to-aft support system to minimize the pooling and ensuing problems.

I know...just do it every time it snows, however, when the boat is back up in northern WI, it may be a week or more before I can get up and dump the pools.

Thanks.

BYW...sick of winter...to me winter is the trade off for spring and fall...oh yeah, and we leave for Rome next Tuesday for a week...not as warm as Cancun, and the fishings not as good, but the sights.....

Bob, thanks for the idea...my boat is currently parked in my driveway and the city officials will not allow off the paved surface...I even tried moving it to the side a couple of feet for more easier driveway access...got a note from the city saying to keep it off the grass.

Up north I built a boat house for my prior boat, a 14' Starcraft ...since I am in a campground, the county rules prevail and limit me to xx cube feet...already beyond that and couldn't go bigger.

Does anyone use the cover supports sold by Overton's? It's a pole and nylon straps that go from bow to stern.

david....

Steve. I get mine shrinkwrapped, it really keeps the snow off and the boat stays nice and dry. Why wont the town allow you to put it on the grass? if it your lawn or is the property owned by the town. I would think if it was your property they cant tell you you cant park your boat there.

the last two years before i bought a portable garage like those above i made a rafter system out of 2" building foam

and construction adhesive. the front deck one tapered from the nose and peaked at the consoles.the rear tapered from

the back and met the front between the consoles.i covered

this with my boat cover (loosely)and a plastic tarp.the snow load was on the foam, as much as two feet at times and it would slide off perodicly i had the overtons style support and it fell over during the first season because it is just a expandable pole that slides down under weight

and drops the cover.i bought the portable garage only because it rained most of last year and i wanted to work on the boat between fishing days.if interested i will post a photo, it only cost about $30 and is reusable.

I need some type of cover like these for my TRUCK...

It has to sit out in the driveway in Michigan and my BOAT gets to spend the winter in the warm garage!!!

az

I use a canopy like Bob G. showed. Last year however, the snoe collapsed and crushed it and it scraped up parts of my glass boat. I bought a stronger one this year (though it still said "not snow bearing" and then before it got cold I took some 2x4's and strenghtened it somewhat. I also get out and get the snow off as soon as I can.

Bill

Latest posts

Back