Winter Project:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
I need advice on a couple of projects, first I want to set up a non-boater bag for tournaments and was wondering if I should set up a bag that holds the 360 size boxes or the 370 size boxes? Should the bag hold everything that I think I would use?ie.. hardbaits, plactics, spinnerbaits,etc. or is O.K. to bring a second smaller bag that would hold my plactics? Do they make a ideal non-boater bag? How much is too much to bring as a non-boater? I'm always thinking that if I leave it home that's what the fish will want.. But my first concern is not wanting to upset the boater by bringing too much stuff. I know that I've read articles that suggest 4 and no more then 5 rods to bring as a non-boater. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated,, thanks..

Second, my wife was thinking of buying me some more tackle boxes for x-mas and I was looking at the new Shimano boxes offered at Bass Pro that have the individual compartments in them, they are setup for either stickbaits,topwater, and crankbaits. Has anyone tried one and what are your thoughts,, I currently overstuff all my boxes, and have the same amount in one now that would take three of new type.. Thanks...

P.S. I more thing,, I always purchase two of every bait that I buy in case it works and I end up losing it... Do you pack your non-boater bag the same way or maybe a select few with two of each and the rest a single bait?

Buzz,

I jump back and forth between my boat and few other people's boat including once in Curtis's 901. I usually bring 4 or 5 rods depending where or what type of fishing we will be doing. I have an older bag that I bought from Bass Pro that came with 5 370 boxes. It also has a few side pouches and it seems to work just fine. Between the boxes and the bag plenty of room. Curtis you don't have to make a non-baoter bag to go with me, I have enough room in my Triton to fit all your stuff.

Rob L

I'll be fishing in a couple of B.A.S.S. T's next year as a co-angler and this is a tough question when you are fishing with someone you don't know. The best info I have been able to find is to take all of your tackle with you and try to get an idea of how you'll be fishing the next day from your partner. Most of the time I understand that they will give you an honest answer. Even though you have to be prepared to fish most all conditions and patterns you can load your tackle with the planned approach in mind. From what I've read most pros don't mind five or six rods. I don't think that four would give you enough versatility. I carry one backpack and one tackle bag with six rods. I haven't had anyone complain yet and I don't think that this is too much tackle for seven or eight hours of fishing.

Buzz,

The only non-boater fishing I've ever done was with you, Bob G. and Curtis. As a courtesy to you guys I try to limit myself to a bag and 4 or 5 rods. Since we are all friends and fishing for fun, I don't mind packing light because I know that if I don't have what I need then you guys will hook me up.

If I was going non-boater in a T and I didn't know the other guy I think I'd bring more stuff like Steve mentioned. Especially the back pack because not all boaters are like Curtis and leaves one rear compartment open. Some of the guys I talk to at work say that in most cases you're limited to what you can stuff under the console (if there is a second console).

Bring whatever you think you need to win and don't worry about the other guy...He's there to win, it's his boat and he certainly isn't going to care about you.

Marke

Not true Marke. Some care about the non boater. I am one of them. I always have at least one compartment open for tackle storage and clothing. Usually try to have a rod locker open for rods too.

I know its not the norm to get that much storage....

I would advise to have a heart to heart with the boater about what he is using. You dont need to know where he is using it before you go. Dont be afraid to ask questions about other baits so you can have something else to go to. Ask about his/her plan b, plan c AND plan d. This is fishing and nothing is automatic.

Mini

Gee Marke, guess I didn't make the short list of folks you've fished with. And I thought I put you on your largest smallies and got you your first tourney win! Now that's gratitude for ya! LOL I'm with Mini, I always open a compartment for the rider. He needs to be able to fit his gear in there and in front of him. I don't like stumbling over a suitcase on the floor, but as long as they can tuck them out of the way while fishing we're fine. Most boaters are that way. But do ask, so that way if the boater is on a shallow bite withe jigs, SB (I know, that's spinner baits!) and top water and never intends to go beyond 20' of water. Leave the jigging spoons and deep cranks at the hotel or home. Then the next day the guy IS on deep fish, leave the shallow baits home and switch up. Once I get on a solid tourney pattern, I rarely use more than 3 or 4 rods in the course of the day. If, I'm REALLY on, only 1 or 2. Like Mini said, communication is the key.

Look into the dual sided boxes from Plano -- you can fit a ton in them and they take up little room -- also, if you're a co-angler (non-boater) bring as much as you want with you and tailor it down to your partner's game plan.

Finally, Plano makes a worm (plastics) box that holds the bags of plastics in neat rows - I took that on every tournament I fished, and pulled a variety of tricks out of it that my boaters ended up borrowing -- best of them was a 10" worm texas without the weight on champlain - i was pullin bucket mouths outta weed pockets while my boater was watching his scum frog rollover the weeds without action...

Rob, I didn't count you because I've never been in YOUR boat. But just to set the record straight...Yes Rob YOU are the man who put me onto the largest smallies I've ever caught in my life. I don't think that'll hold to much longer though. If I'm real nice to Mac & Mini maybe they'll help break the 5lb class this year :eek:)

Mini, I'm sure like yourself there are considerate boaters out there. But I have heard several horror stories. Just some of the guys I talk to in the showroom looking at boats say "What the hell do I need a second console for? If the other guy wants comfort let him buy his own boat." So they are out there.

I agree that communication is the key so I have to ask; How much time do you have to communicate? At what point do know who you are riding with? The night before or 1 hour before?

Marke

You know the night before at the draw. It's always recommended that you spend at least say an hour talking with your boater going over his game plan. Where he will fish? How? With what baits? Etc. There is plenty of time, then you go back to your room and prepare accordingly. And you might just as well say you fished out of my boat, I had it more than Buzz did! LOL But I conduct myself the same way in my boat. I always leave a compartment open. I try not to have too much gear myself as it only clutters the boat and too many choices can cause you to doubt or add confusion. Get on a solid pattern with a back up and keep it simple. Work it hard. As far as beating your Champlain record, I want pics. I've been hearing about these MI smallies for TWO years and only get 5 year old pics from Mac that he had to doctor and borrow fish on ONE day that all the pieces came together and the planets alligned.....LOL Actually, I'm most excited about fishing Erie this year. All the reports say 5 lbers are common and the record of over 8lbs is from there. Champlain has millions of 3 and 4 lbers and tons of 5's. But an 8????

5 year old Pics huh???,...seems I should have more around somewhere,..but,..."I"m TOO BUSY LIVIN' THE DREAM THAT YOU'RE TRYING TO PURSUE!!!!!,..LOL"..I don't have time to take a bunch of useless pix's!! Now get busy and LREARN THE RULES!!!!!!!!!...ahaaha

Rob...

The Ohio State Record, caught by Randy Vandam in 1993 is 9 lbs 8 oz.

There are more HUGE fish in Erie than you can beleive.

the Michigan record is 9.25 pounds from an inland lake.....

Marke....perhaps if you are a good boy we can go toad hunting this spring!

Mini

Now THAT'S what I'M talkin about! Man, I've only ever caught 2 smallies over 6. I can't even fathom what a 9 lber would do. What's your biggest Mini? I also have a 8.5 lb LM, which is near the Champlain record. Ricky Doyle the other local Everstart pro has the only other 8 lber that I know of from this lake. It didn't fight for squat though. I would take another 6 lb smallie over that any day.

I have had a legit 7 on....lost it at the boat and it cost me a win.....sob sob I know...

Biggest in a tournament was 6.8 lbs....beat ol Mac out for Big Bass that day (a cool 1500 bux) AND won the $5k for first place with 22.9 on five.....that was August 98.

Averaged 4.23 pounds a fish weighed in for the weekend....won the open the next day and stopped fishing at 9:30 am to nap! (first and ONLY time I have slept in a tournament, was a little hung over from the celebration of winning 6500 bux, slept for two hours...) Had 32 and change on 8 fish on Sunday, big bass was only 4.5 (won that too)...

Mini

I see the shows where you are out beyond sight of land and on a reef hauling 4 and 5 lb toads. I really would love that. Champlain is long but narrow. It's only 6 miles wide, so no matter where you are, if you're on fish, somebody can usually see you and will be there shortly. It would be nice to be on a hot spot and not have to share it.

When you come to Erie you will not be able to see shore on alot of the places I will take you, except for a few Islands....I will also prove to you that no matter how flat you think the water is, it is curved like the surtface of the earth. LOL

Mini

I know, you can tell on Champlain in the main body looking south. You can't see north or south. Isn't it 12 miles and the curvature of the earth pulls away and you can't see from sea level. Unless you're on a mountain. I think Greg told me that.

Well islands disappear and reappear as you stand and sit in the boat.....lots of people have a hard time with understanding that until you show em!

Mini

At some points in Champlain, they appear to "float". Have to see it to appreciate it. Looks like a low hanging cloud, but it's land. Just the whole optical illusion thing happening.

Robbie, if you are going to guide on my lake please take a history lesson at http://www.letmeshowyouvermont.com/lake.htm

it will tell you how the lake is 12 miles wide, little over 100 miles long and about 400 feet deep. Thanks Robbie..

Also found out the LCI trail is only going to do 1 tournament this year due to the lack of volunteers..

6...12, whatever. It's narrow! LOL It would be over 20 wide if it weren't for the islands overlapping.

Latest posts

Back