Winter Boat Care

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Branch

Reaction score
First time new boat owner (I have a 2005 PT 185). I have owned smaller boats that were run down and cheap so I didn't take real good care of them like I should have and really have no idea what I need to do this winter maintenance wise. I have heard of winterizing before but am unsure what I need to do. I live in North East Texas so it isn't as cold as some places but it does get down there occasionally. I plan on using my boat a lot this winter but it could sit up for a month during deer season. What all do I need to do and be careful with etc. Thanks in advance for the advice!

As long as you plan on using your boat at least every month or so there's not really much to do. Make sure to keep some Sta-Bil in the the gas and be sure to run the motor long enough to get the Sta-Bil up into the carbs. That will prevent the gas from breaking down and messing up the carbs. It's also a good idea to change the lower unit oil around this time of year in case some water has found it way in the lower unit. I keep my Guest battery charger hooked up 24/7 to keep the battery from freezing up. During the month or two of dead winter I put a tarp over my boat cover. That keeps any ice or snow from building up on the cover and slowly leaking into the boat as it melts. I still like to get out in Dec, Jan, and Feb, whenever we have a fairly nice day. It's kind of special to be the only one on the lake....and sometimes you actually catch something.

Harpo

Only thing I would do is to use the Merc stabilizer instead of Sta-bil. I always try to stay with the manufacturers product. I run my rig all winter and agree, LU oil change (synthetic) and fuel stabilizer (which you ought to be using all of the time anyway).

TOXIC

Tox - Whether Stabil or Merc Stabil how often since you said "fuel stabilizer (which you ought to be using all of the time anyway)."

The Merc product has 2 different mix ratios. Under normal running conditions, I put in the "operating mix" in every other tank. That keeps everything varnish and carbon free. If I am going to let it sit for a while (which never happens) I would mix it at the "storage mix" rate. I noticed a BIG difference when I started using this product.

I also forgot to mention not to forget the trailer. Make sure the hubs are greased up and tires dressed.

TOXIC

I heard someone once say you had to get all the water out of the motor. Is this true and how exactly do you guys do it. Thanks for all this help. I appreciate it. I wanna take extra special care of this boat. I'm gonna do the LU Oil Change this week, I guess I will go with Synthetic. It has never been changed (very new boat).

GREAT question,Bobby. In the winter it's always a good idea to tilt your motor all the way down while you're at the ramp stowing away your rods and hooking up the transom straps ect. Put your transom saver on last, this allows the water in the motor to drain out. When the temperature gets really down there I will keep the motor down and also crank the motor a couple of time with the kill switch off just to make sure all the water is out of the system.

If your boat is that new it might not be necessary to change the lower unit lube this season. But then again it couldn't hurt anything either.

Harpo

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can find the Merc Stabilizer as I would rather use OEM fluids in my motor.

I get it at my sponsoring marina. I can't find it on the merc site?!?!? :huh: Possibly it is a dealer only item, i'll look at BPS the next time I am there. I have nothing against stabil, I use it in all of my other gas engines (other than the vehicles). This product by merc is some strong stuff. You get it on your hands (it looks like idoine) and it will not come off and it stinks like mad.

TOXIC

If the weather holds-up to the forecast we'll be taking the boat out next Sunday, after that I'll be winterizing it for the rest of the season. :(

Latest posts

Back