Will a newer bassboat sink?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Will the newer boats sink if filled with water?

If you were to spear a wave and swamp a boat,filling it up,would the floatation foam be enough to float it?

If your boat should swamp and go down,would you have time to get any emergency supplies?

I think I may have a good safety idea.(unless bassboats are unsinkable)

Steve, I believe if an outboard boat is rated for more than 2 horsepower, it has to float level if swamped. U.S. Coast Guard regs.

True Rich, BUT the test requires it to float with minimum weight in it and in calm seas....

Mini

I remember a Ranger commercial where they cut it in half and had one guy standing in the front part and another standing in the back.

Bill

True, a Ranger will not sink. Some others wont either, but they far exceed the requirements of the USCG test.

Mini

I was thinking of an emergency signal kit that is in a sospender type balloon,That would release and float if the boat ever sank in a hurry.

But by the sounds of it,barring any major impact,a boat will somewhat float.

Oh well,just an idea.

It has to do with length. Up to 20' and USCG requires whats called "level flotation". But like Mini says, it's only tested on calm waters with a min load. Max the load and it might. Ranger, regardless of size fills EVERY cavity with foam and so you can cut them in half and both halves will float. I can tell you that Procraft 21 footers do not float! It appears that once they got over the CG size, they skimped. At least on the one boat I saw that sank at the ramp after the BFL. And though I was not happy with the quality, I can attest that the Tracker Super-Guides wouldn't sink. I had 2 hulls split and filled with water. They sat really low in the water and could barely move with a 40hp, but did get back to the ramp. But it was pretty calm water too.

Merry Christmas Guys.

Steve , I dont care what any of the commercials say about how well a boat is suppose to float in calm water with or without a load . The worst things dont always happen in calm water . I Know from experance . If you think you got an idea that might save a life on the water by all means go for it

Doug is correct Maximum Weight limit inside the boat for the test but it is done in calm waters.

I have seen many boats (bass boats included) almost go under after leaving the drain plug out (or in my case a bilge pump fitting cracking off @ transom). If the weight is evenly distributed in calm water just about any boat will float. IF the water rushes to the rear of the boat (like trying to get on plane) the boat will nose up and its wetted surface is reduced and MAY sink transom first....I know I almost did it. :0

Mini

David

Thats pretty much what I was thinking,Except on a smaller scale for bassboats.Maybe signal flares and a whistle, or some kind of signal devices.Things you normally keep stuffed in a compartment where you can never get to them,but may save your life if you are ever in the water with no boat.

Oh well,back to playing the lottery.

Latest posts

Back