Wierd Plastix

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Questions.

Has anyone caught anything on a Flying Lure? A Banjo Minnow? Anyone remember "Little Fishies"? Anyone remember the remote control lure that you controlled by a special rod handle? It was advertised in Bassmaster magazine in the eighties. What other strange lures have risen and fallen by the wayside.

fatrap

i don't know about the others but the 'lil fishie" is freaking awesome, that thing really does work. they sell them at walmart and they have the lil shad now to. i've caught alot of fish on that thing. never used the others though.

travis

Blinkies... the ones with the little red LED light in them....

The Walking Worm....

I can't speak for the gimmick lures, but I am the proud owner of 2 Popele Pocket Fisherman, which I have caught fish on in the past. In fact I used to carry one in my surveillance vehicle at work...if we were stuck in a location close to some of our lakes doing an extended surveillance, I would try to find a park close by and fish while our bad guy slept worked or whatever. This practice ended unfortunately when I was hit on while bank fishing at a local boat launch.................by a man.....!!!LOL

I've caught several bass with my flying lures. They do work under docks and along weed lines. I still have a "sonic Vibrabat lure that I ordered out of a fishing magazine in the mid 70's. It is a silver spoon type of contraption with a trailing tandem set of hooks and vibrates vertically when retreived. I have caught something with all of the gimmick and gadget type lures that I foolishly had to have.

:wacko:

I still want to kick ol' Roland in the nads for the Helicopter Lure.:D

Still have the whole big kit in the basement. Got them when I just started bass fishing at about 14. I think I can remember actually having a fish hit one once.:wacko:

Guess what my son got me for father's day this year ???? YEP...a pack of Helicopter Lures.:)

I told him he can keep them in his tackle box so they won't get lost.;)

Yep, got a weird thing called a "Blade Dancer" in the mail when I renewed my Bassmaster mag subscription. Haven't fished it yet though. Anyone tried it?

I used to work with a guy who swore by the Flying Lure. He claimed it was a fish catching machine. He gave me one and several months later asked me how I liked it. I had to confess that I had never tried it.... so he asked for it back. Actually it's not a bad concept. If you rig a Yamamoto Ika up backwards....in other words, with the hook eye coming out on the skirt end, it will back-up and go under logs and ledges ect.

When I was a kid I spent what seemed to me like a fortune on a bobber that lit up when you got a strike. Problem was, this was in the days before little watch battries like they have now days. This thing took either a C or D size flashlight battery. It was so doggone heavy that it would cast a country mile and then it wouldn't float worth a darn.:(

Harpo

My brother in law. I believe it was the 'flying lure'. I fished a stock pond with him in Alabama about 18 months ago.

He'd miss 3 or 4 fish, then finally get one. I handed him a gammy ewg hook and told him to comopare the difference. He was shocked, and then kept right on fishing with his flying lure.

He caught the dinks, I caught the nicer fish.

Tex

Any one ever fish the Dancin Eel,by who other than the great Bill.Awsome action in the water,but never caught anything on it,almost forgot the Leroy Brown,did catch a trout on it once by accident.All others mentioned bought,tried and still in packages in basement.Anyone going to Marine USA this week-end??? <"((((<<

Gawd

I forgot the helicopter lures. I seen Roland catch a 13 pounder in Mexico on one. I can't remember catching one thing on one here.

Travis

I didn't know they still made "Lil Fishies" I took some to Canada one time and my brother and I just murdered the walleyes and norherns on them. Used everyone and had to keep them next to me at night to keep my cabin mates from stealing them from me.

Funny enough the first bass I caught on a "fake worm" was a Creme worm complete with beaded line and spinner.

fatrap

Fattrap,

Check walmart out. I just bought some more last year. They have the shad ones to, look like a shad with that little tail. Those little fishies, do have an awesome movement and work awesome!!!

Travis

I still have 2 of the Dance's Eel's....I was in high school working in the tackle dept of a local Dunhams Sporting goods store when they first came out. They sold like hot cakes. I have used them periodically and have caught the occasional bass with them. They do look darn good in the water.

Those Flying lures work well. pick em up and let em fall...they do go backwards...good for creeks and docks

I never caught anything on the Flying Lure. I have used the Little Fishie with a lot of success. I have some in my ultra light box right now. Like Travis, I picked them up a Wally World.

Steve

I tried the flying lure once. My buddy Jeff gave me one to try once and on the first cast after tying it on i lost it. It must have had a burr on the hook eye or i tied a bad knot( kinda tough to do with a palomar). Well that lure flew alright.......... about 150 yards into the woods.

Actually i do memember Jeff catching some fish on them, but i always did better then he did using a worm.

The Flying Lure and the Helicopter Lure are actually both good lures with specific purposes. I think the only reason they never caught on was because they were sold as a gimmick lure - in a kit form, and only in a kit form. If I could buy packs of Flying Lures and Helicopter Lures in individual colors - ones that I LIKED.... I'd stock up. But to buy a "kit" with 6 colors I'd never throw, and only 4 lures in the color I would throw, is definitely not worth my money. The Flying Lure is a good dock lure, and if someone would expound on it (better hooks, etc...) , and offer it in single color packs, I think it would be a good seller. The Helicopter lure does work.... just only during very specific conditions.... most of which, I'd rather use a good Buzzbait instead. I don't know if you have ever tried these - but the Salad Spoons are just as good as the Helicopter lure, more weedless, can go places the buzzbait gets hung up on.... and they are available in single packs of the same color. I have several bags that stay in my boat.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, Don't know if you read my reply above or not so I'll repeat....you can make a Yamamoto Ika (either Fat or Big) back up like the Flying lure by just rigging it backwards. Works real good, especially around weed beds that have overhanging tops. Try it.

I've used the Salad Spoon too....good bait. It was around long before all the bruhaha about the Horney Toad and all it's imitators were even invented.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back