Why ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Why is it that most use a spinning reel when fishing a worm? I have fished with a spinning rig all my life and just recently bought a baitcast reel. I thought that a baitcast reel was used mostly for worm fishing .....just wanted to hear why it's the other way most of the time. kenny

I guess it is what you get used to I hate using spinning gear have always used baitcasters and I fish a worm 95% of time and jig &pig the rest of the time if I need to finess I have an ultra light Quantum I bought 20 or so years ago and I havent seen them anymore

JD

For me, it really depends on what type of cover I am fishing. Heavy cover+20lb test line and above= Baitcasting. Open/Clear water+12lb test line and below= Spinning reel

My .02

Max <><

Most of my Texas rig / Carolina rig worm fishing has always been done with a baitcaster.

For weightless Senkos, I use a spinning reel, because you don't have to put any "umph!" into it when casting a spinning reel, so the Senko doesn't tear when wacky rigged - with, or without a o-ring.

I also use the spinning reel for "small stuff" - tubes, grubs, etc... because they are easier to cast on a spinning reel due to the weight.

My last use for a spinning reel is skipping most anything WAY back underneath a dock or some other structure. I'm fairly good at skipping with a baitcaster without backlashing, but there are times a spinning reel just does it better.

Each tool has it's use.

All the best,

Glenn

I use my spinning reels when I feel that I don't have enough to do in the boat and fighting the line twist/loops adds some challenge to the days events. :lol::lol::lol:

They are good for the light stuff.

a spinning reel will allow the worm to fall vertically, a baitcaster will have the worm swing back to the boat (even if you pull line off, it helps though)

Mini

Mini,

Thanks for that "tip".... Never gave that any thought... I use spinning gear under docks but I am now glad to know why my dumb luck was the right thing to do... Cool!;)

Remember to keep the bail open though as the bait falls,...if you close it right after the cast, it'll act just like a baitcaster, and the bait will pendulum toward you.

While what my friend says is true, it is inherent that a spinning rod has more slack after a cast. Say in three or four foot of water you wouldnt need to leave the bail open.....but with a baitcaster you would have to pull off line. Experience will show you this.

Mini

Latest posts

Back