Why Outboards are on Bass Boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
I'm sure many on this site know the obvious answers but I thought it would be good to start a thread for why bass boats are primarily designed for outboards only (not to mention that I'm not totally sure why).

Some reasons I can think of are:

Outboards are necessary since inboards would require a deeper hull. i.e. Outboards allow for a shallower draft.

More deck, storage, and cockpit space.

Are Outboards lighter than inboards?

Do outboards perform better than inboards?

Paul

Much easier to replace when they get blowed up.

Probably something to do with performance/lift (getting up on plane).

Outboards I believe ARE lighter then their HP rated counterparts.

I'd also say because - you can offer MANY more options (from 5hp to 200hp + in theory without changing anything inside the boat.

Also, the I/O's take up a LOT of space in the boat, that would be better served in a fishing boat with storage.

Just my thoughts...

They just look cool. I just pulled my boat out of the garage and that big opti got my blood boiling to go fishing.

Personally I like that they aren't as loud either (most anyway). I hate fishing in a calm peaceful setting and what sounds like a dragster comes down the lake. Imagine what that sounds like and feels like to a fish.

Space being the most obvious as mentioned above.

Performance of a 200hp outboard 2 cycle is far superior to a 4cycle 200hp i/o.

Weight.

Construction. You can build boats before you know what engine ther customer wants.

The power to weight ration of an Outboard is hard to beat.

As a Tracker Jet owner (PT 185 175hp jet) I can tell you my boat gets up on plane faster than an outboard. I can run in 4" of water. The two disadvantages are: 1 space. You do lose some space in the back of the boat. 2. Speed. It will beat most boats out of the hole. I get 50 mph out of my jet. If it were a 175 hp outboard on the same boat I would probably get over 60 if not more. But I can fish in places that you guys with the big outboards can only dream about. :)

I think the main advantage of an outboard over an I/O is the fact that you can use it during the winter without having to winterize it all over. In my climate I never have to do more to prepare my outboard than the few things I can do in my driveway.

Harpo

PS. Something I just remembered. I did see an I/O bass boat one time, it was a Ranger. Looked like it might be 10 or more years old. So at least somebody did experiment with the idea.

Why an outboard on a bass boat?

Cause the lakes are too big to row!

I had a friend with a inboard on a older fish/ski type boat. It always had the "doghouse" (cover) off, and more times than not, he had a wrench in his hand instead of a fishing rod. I pulled up alongside him one day, seeing him working on it again. Immediately upon pulling up to him, I pointed and in a very excited voice told him, "Hey man! There's your problem!". He looked up at me, anxious to hear what I had to say. I then told him, "You've got a dang car engine in a boat! :D". He threw the wrench at me.:p

Outboards are the only way to go. I even prefer them on Saltwater boats.

All the best,

Glenn

Back