Which motor?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Ambrose

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a 2012 Targa v-18 combo. The boat has a 150 optimax but I can have a 150 four stroke put on for a fee. I have experience with four strokes but none with two strokes. Which motor is better?

I have a 2012 Targa 18 WT with the 150 XL 4 stroke. I have had Merc 2 strokes for 30 years and now with these new 4 strokes< you have to think strongly about puttin on the 4 stroke. The advantages are many. You don't have to buy that expensive oil. You won't have the oil reservoir in the boat leaving you more storage. The 4 stroke starts like a car. Its quiet. It will troll all day with no obnoxious smells. Its as strong or stronger than the Opti. I'm running a 19P Temtpest at 50 mph. You can do all the maintenance yourself. I'll never go back to 2 strokes.

Thanks for the advice. Does it matter that I'm fishing in the Chesapeake Bay which has a salt content versus fresh water?

No. But I'd be concerned about the trailer and dropping any freshwater boat in bay salt. The Potomac is salty this year but not like the bay or do you mean tributaries of the bay? Salt eats boats not made for it and it eats trailers even worse. Motors not so much.

I'm mostly on the Patapsco River by the Key Bridge and the surounding creeks. I guess my main question is should I spend the money for the four stroke or will I be just as happy with the optimax.

I know a guy fishing salt with a Tundra like mine out of Texas. He has the galvanized trailer as is happy as of his last post. I wouldn't get a Trailstar trailer near salt water period. I don't care what the galvashield BS says. I won't even put salt on my hard boiled eggs near my trailer. One thing you can bet your hiney on for sure. Tracker has the absolute cheapest materials they can find making up their product.

As for four stroke vs two. Your trailer lights wouldn't last past the first dunking. If I could have afforded the extra I would have gone four stoke. My Optimax is fine but I'm on my third water pump impeller in five years. If your fishing the Chesapeake I'd be more worried about the trailer than the engine.

fatrap

Guys, thanks for all the help. I think I'm going with the Optimax and spend the extra money on a galvanized trailer.

I believe that's a wise choice. As good as the 4 stroker is the trailer is what gets you to the water. Good luck let us know whatz up.

fatrap

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking at the Targa V18 with the 150 optimax. IS there really any difference in the performance?

I know Tom you pointed out some very valid points about startup, smell(is it really that bad), and how quiet the 4 stroke is.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but the last boat and motor I worked was a 18hp Johnson that was a 1950's model on a 14 foot aluminum boat. My dad and I used that boat all the time.

Anyway, Thanks for any input you guys might have.

Dave

I bought the Targa V-18 combo with the 150 Optimax and have had it out several times since. I'm very pleased with it so far. The torgue with the optimax is fantastic, you'll be up on plane quickly. It is a bit noicey at low rpms but nothing like I expected. Cruising at 3,000 rpms I don't think it is any louder than the four stroke. As for the smell I really haven't noticed any. It's a personnal choice but I love the torgue on the Optimax.

Thanks Chuck. That helps me in my decision a bit more. What kind of speed do you get out of that motor? I am learning a lot about props and the importance they play.

I am still in the break in process so I haven't run at wot yet. Once I can get some calm seas and 20 plus hours on the motor I'll turn it loose and let you know.

Latest posts

Back