Where Else To Look?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
2001 Merc 150 xr6.....checked all coils, each has spark, pulled line from fuel pump and fuel is going out, bulb pumps up hard, batteries full, fuses good, lanyard on run, throttle shift in neutral....cranks but won't turn over.....what am I missing?
Eric

Do you mean that the engine turns over but will not start(fire)? Are your spark plugs wet? There is one fuse under the engine cover, is it good?

Do you mean that the engine turns over but will not start(fire)? Are your spark plugs wet? There is one fuse under the engine cover, is it good?
Yes, it will not fire and the spark plugs are wet....I checked the 3 20 amp fuses in the harness and they are good...is there another I should look for under the hood?

If you have spark to your spark plugs, I would start there. Remember do not run the starter motor for long lengths of time, you will be replacing a number of electrical components. If the rectifier overheats it can short and burn components. I am assuming you are carb., make sure you are trimmed down, floats sometime have a problem at angles.

If you have spark to your spark plugs, I would start there. Remember do not run the starter motor for long lengths of time, you will be replacing a number of electrical components. If the rectifier overheats it can short and burn components. I am assuming you are carb., make sure you are trimmed down, floats sometime have a problem at angles.
Yes, it's carb.....I'm going to go through it tomorrow, double checking all the fuses, fuel pump, etc....since I've owned the boat, nothing has been rebuilt, except new water pump impeller every other year...may see about rebuilding carbs, and new diaphragm/ gaskets in fuel pump.....tonight it started up for about 5 seconds, then not again....sounds like it is starving for fuel....thanks for the help.
Eric

Yes, it's carb.....I'm going to go through it tomorrow, double checking all the fuses, fuel pump, etc....since I've owned the boat, nothing has been rebuilt, except new water pump impeller every other year...may see about rebuilding carbs, and new diaphragm/ gaskets in fuel pump.....tonight it started up for about 5 seconds, then not again....sounds like it is starving for fuel....thanks for the help.
Eric
Thanks for the help, cq, I found the problem today...after checking and rechecking fuses, lanyards, spark, etc...pulled the fuel pump off, and plastic came out...the diaphragm was cracked in two and coming apart...rebuilt it, hit the key a few times, and it roared to life.
Eric

Reactions: cq

Latest posts

Back