Where did all this "stuff" come from?????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
"Tigger! Get that feather outta your mouth!"

"Dang ceiling fan."

"I gotta do something about this....."

Shop & Save has gallon freezer bags on sale - I bought 2 packs. Then, back to the newly rediscovered box of fly tying "materials".

With the ceiling fan shut off, I proceeded to dig in and sort into categories..... Chenille..... Dubbing..... Tying thread..... Marabou..... Hackle..... Fur..... Hooks.....

19 bobbins of thread! What am I doing with all that? I only use three - red, black and tan! The rest goes in the trash.

I must have kept Mustad in business! 31 boxes of various hooks! 6's..... 12's..... 16's..... 18's..... Those were the good old days! Back when I could see a #18 well enough to thread the eye and tie it onto my fly line without bifocals. Now, I put reading glasses over my bifocals just to tie a woolly bugger on a #6..... Where'd these 22's come from? Morton must have left them in with my stuff. Even in my best days, I couldn't see well enough to use those. Morton had once shown up on the river with one of those large soda straws sticking out of his pocket; as he needed a fly, he would tip it out of the straw..... OK, if I can't see it without a magnifying glass - into the trash!

Marabou! Marabou everywhere! Two 1-gallon freezer bags full! Feather pillow city! It's like the thread - I only use red, black, tan and sometimes white..... Into the trash with the rest!

Round rubber hackle? I only used that a couple of times to tie legs on ants. Never caught anything with them. Into the trash.

Head cement? I stopped using that wa-a-ay early on; just tied a couple extra loops with the whip. Into the trash.

$2.99 fly tying vise? That thing isn't worth cr@##! Into the trash.

OK..... The stuff that's left goes into the freezer bags - 18 of them...... These go back into the box..... The ceiling fan comes back on. (The loft gets hot when there's nothing to blow the heat back downstairs.)..... Tigger can come out of hiding..... And I'm gonna make a quick trip to the trash can.....

Wait a minute..... Ya know..... I just might want to tie a #18 brassie again some day..... Better keep the copper wire..... Ya know, sometimes it's fun just to put a bit of sparkle in a fly even if it doesn't make any difference to the fish..... Better keep those three spools of tinsel..... And..... What if my good vise should break..... I'd be up a creek..... That $2.99 vise won't take up much room.....

Aw! What the heck! I'll just have a "Misc" baggie or two in the box!

Funny how fishing can make you become a pack-rat!

I had to clean out my boat last year when I left it at the dealer for awhile.....and when i got it back, I couldn't get all the cr@p back in it!! Of course I couldn't remember how I had it all in there in the first place. I probably have crankbaits that I bought myself thirty years ago in my Plano. My wife tells me I could go fishing every day for the rest of my life and loose ten lures a day and still not run out even if I never bought another lure. She is probably right. Dang it!

Tom

Me!,

If you ever decide to get rid of that stuff drop me a line. Im startin to get into fly fishing.

T.S.

Good for you, Travis! You'll have a blast! (And, if you've got a cat, so will he!)

How far have you gotten? What are you gong to be fishing for? Have you bought a rod? What weight? Fly tying stuff? Taken casting lessons?

Fill us in!

Latest posts

Back