What type of knot to tie

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
Ok with all this talk about braided line lately, my question is what type of knot do you guys use for braided line? Will a palomar knot work or will I have to go with something different. And I am talking about fishing a jig and c-rig set-up. I know for my c-rig the line from the weight to the hook will be mono so I am only talking about the line from the reel to the weight. Can I tie directly to the bait or will I have to have some mono line in there as well?

Thanks

With braided line you should use a Palomar knot whenever possible. I don't use a mono leader except on a Carolina rig but I do lay down a mono base on the reel. Tie a Uni to Uni for that. A Chinch knot will pull through with braided line

Harpo

Thanks guys....I think I am going to give power pro a try this weekend hopefully I have some good results....

I would like to try braided line but man its alot of cash..15 bucks for 100 yards.. Do you use mono has a backing?

Power Pro at BPS is 10.99 for a 100 yards....its not cheap...but if I don't have to replace it as often as mono it will save me in the long run....but like you said it will all depend on how I like it.....and yes I will be using a mono backing. I am going to try it on my flipping and c-rig first and see how I like it....and if I do I think I might use it on one of my spinning reel set ups...but i will not use it on all my reels.

Power Pro is $10.99 for a 100 yd spool in the BPS catalog. Spiderwire Original is $16.99 for 125 yards. The Spiderwire is good but not as good as Power Pro, I wouldn't use any of the other braided lines. I keep my reel a little more than half full with mono then load up the braid. I don't know how many yards that is but a 100 yard spool lasts a long long time. For one reason it doesn't age like mono so you don't have to change it every 3 or 6 months. The color will lighten up with use but that doesn't affect the performance.

Harpo

I am going to try it on my spinning worm rod, just in case it does burn the guides..

X

Opppps, looks like we were both talking at the same time. Flipping and pitching is all I use it for. Use at least 30#, some guys use 50# anything lighter will be too fine and drive you crazy wrapping around your rod tip. I posted a link to an excellent article on braided vs mono a week or two ago. Search it out it might give you some usefull info.

Harpo

X, like I said, I wouldn't use anything less than 30# which is the equivilent of 8#? mono. One of the big drawbacks to braided line is it is so limp it get blown about by the wind. I almost never use a spinning reel except in the most ultra-clear water, downsize situations which IMHO would not be the right situation for braid. Remember braid is anything but invisable. That's not a problem when fishing in murky water in heavy cover but in clear water/ no cover it will look like rope going through the water.

Harpo

I can tell you what kind of knot.... NOT TO TIE!!!..... The marraige knot. I haven't managed to untie that one .........yet. If you do untie it it'll cost you plenty.

fatrap

Use a cheap mono backer to reduce the amount of line you spool up. You never really use the bottom half of the spool anyway. This also keeps the line from slipping on today's highly polished spools.

I always use a polymar knot and have never had a problem. I use Fireline a lot, but am going to try some Power Pro this year.

Use the mono for backing or put a wrap of electrical tape on the spool. After you think your line is worn out (braid) re-spool it backwards, good as new again!!

TOXIC

I found that by adding a loop to the Palomar knot (Double Palomar) keeps the braid from sliding out of the knot. Many times with braided line, the knot pulls itself free under load, even tied with the a single Palomar. (Braid doesn't leave that nice little pigtail like mono does when our knot "malfunctions". LOL!) Adding the extra pass (loop) before cinching holds tightly without slipping and cinches down fairly easy by pulling both tag ends before trimming.

One more tip for you guys trying braided line for the first time. Go to Wal-Mart to the school supplies department and pick up a pair of Fiskars sciscors for little kids. You cannot cut braided line with fingernail clippers, it just mashes and if you cut it with a knife you get a frayed end that's not close enough to the knot. Spray them with some Reel Magic so they won't rust.

Harpo

I have a love hate relationship with braid, I only use it on my spinning reels, weightless/senko and plastic. I like it's toughness but hate it in the wind?? I realy like it when fishing weightless with a 3" senko, I can cast for distance or skip it under a dock, unless there is a lot of wind then I have a hard time hitting my target...

BF

Latest posts

Back